We are apologize for the inconvenience but this volunteer is program is temporarily postponed until further notice. Please check back for updates and other unique volunteer opportunities.
The Science Café team plans and develops a talk or casual learning program along with Aquarium professionals. The talks are designed to help scientists connect with local teens about the science and technology changing their world and discover new opportunities for ocean stewardship. Teen Science Café programs engage scientists and the public in conversation on interesting current topics in a highly social setting. By specifically connecting teens to scientists, students will work to help create an interactive and highly engaging learning experience.
- Plan and execute a successful Aquarium of the Pacific Teen Science Café
- Participants will be responsible for outlining topics and concepts related to ocean science and stewardship.
- Market and promote these events across traditional and social media platforms
- Work with scientists to develop an engaging and interactive event where scientists communicate effectively with teens.
- Organize and coordinate locations for science cafés to occur
- Contribute to event planning, logistics, and organization
- Work as a team to produce an engaging science experience
- Reflect on best practices after the session to further develop future Teen Science Café events
- Sundays from 10:00 a.m.–2:00 pm
- Fall Oct–Dec 2019
- Able to work independently and in groups
- Highly Organized
- Interested in ocean sciences and stewardship
- Scientifically Minded
- Possesses Leadership Qualities
Participants will attend a training class and work in groups to accomplish the tasks assigned.
Students will report to Teen Science Café Coordinators each week.
Participants will gain leadership skills, and have the opportunity work directly with scientists. Recognition for hours of service; complimentary 4 tickets awarded upon completion of the program; discounts at Pacific Collections & Café Scuba; discounted tickets and memberships; free parking while volunteering; all other benefits described in the volunteer handbook; and, participation in a lively and interactive department.
To submit a complete application you will need the following items:
- A digital copy of your school transcripts
- One Letter of Reference:
The recommender should not be a person related to you. We recommend that you select someone who can speak to your interest in science or marine life. Feel free to have them write an individual statement.
- A Personal Statement:
Tell us in 300 to 400 words, why we should select you for this program. You should include personal attributes that will benefit the Aquarium and what you hope to gain from the experience. You are urged to be creative; let your personality show. Your essay must be double-spaced and in a legible font such as Arial, Tahoma or Times Roman.
Each of these items must be uploaded to your online application.
Fall 2019 Session Application Deadline: September 13, 2019
Fundraise for the Aquarium!
Did you know that starting a fundraiser is an easy way to support the Aquarium?
Adopt an Animal Today!
Receive special benefits including an adoption certificate, event invitations, and animal updates.