Aquarium of the Pacific Hosts 19th Annual African-American Festival
Aquarium celebrates African and African-American cultures through this live-streaming virtual event
Celebrating the richness and diversity of African-American and African cultures, the Aquarium of the Pacific’s nineteenth annual African-American Festival will take place as a virtual event on Saturday, February 27. This virtual event will feature African and African-American music, dance, storytelling, and historical displays. Festival performances will include Mardi Gras second line dancing, hip hop and break dancing, tap and modern dance, soul-pop fusion music, and West African drumming, dancing, and storytelling. At 3:15 p.m., the Aquarium will present its Heritage Award to Felton Williams, Ph.D. for his outstanding service to African American communities. Immediately following the Heritage Award, the Aquarium will officially announce and celebrate its 2021 African American Scholar recipients. The virtual online festival will be streaming live from the Aquarium of the Pacific, and anyone can tune in for free from 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, February 27, 2021, 10:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Pacific Time
- 10:00 a.m. Storytelling in the West African tradition – Baba the Storyteller
- 10:45 a.m. Tap and modern dancing – PISE (Positive Images of Self Expression)
- 11:30 a.m. Forgotten Images – A Celebration of African and African-American History
- 12:15 p.m. West African drumming and dancing – Dembrebrah
- 1:00 p.m. Animal presentation by the Aquarium of the Pacific and The LA LA Mardi Gras Second Liners
- 1:45 p.m. Breakdancing and popping – Homeland Crew
- 2:30 p.m. Soul-pop fusion music performance by Per Se
- 3:15 p.m. Aquarium’s Heritage Award presentation honoring Felton Williams, Ph.D.
- 3:25 p.m. African American Scholar Program award ceremony Program subject to change.
WHERE: aquariumofpacific.org/events/info/african_american_festival/ How to view the Virtual African-American Festival: On Saturday, February 27, the public can visit the Virtual African-American Festival webpage to watch the live streaming event. The schedule will be posted on the webpage, along with links to social media outlets that will also stream the event live.
COST: Free virtual event, no reservations required
INFO: (562) 590-3100 or pacific.to/africanamericanfestival