Veterinary Assistant Internship
Veterinary assistant interns provide assistance with maintaining the veterinary working facilities, record keeping, and observing animal treatment and procedures.
This internship provides an introduction to aquarium veterinary medicine for undergraduate students or veterinary technician students.
Commitment: 24-40 hrs/week for 4 weeks minimum and 8 weeks maximum
Available dates: June –August
Application Deadline: March 11
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Cleaning/housekeeping of animal cages and hospital areas
- Reading appropriate assigned materials
- Keeping a log/journal of experiences
- Observing and learning animal restraint and treatment
- Observing medical and surgical procedures
- Assisting with any tasks required by the veterinarian or the veterinary technician
- Must be 18 years or older and able to lift 50lbs.
- Undergraduate students must have completed a minimum of 2 years of study in a life sciences or pre-veterinary curriculum with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Veterinary technician students must have completed a minimum of one year in an accredited licensing program.
- Desire to apply to veterinary school or to work in a zoo/aquarium for veterinary technician students
Knowledge and Skills
- Previous volunteer or work experience with the husbandry of exotic/zoo/aquatic animals is not required but is heavily considered in the application process
You will need to upload following documents
- Letter of Interest (upload in cover letter section)
- Resume or CV
- Recommendation letter from a professor or academic advisor
- Unofficial transcript
When you have all necessary documents please hit the apply button below.
Volunteering at the Aquarium
The Aquarium owes much of its success to our dedicated and committed volunteer staff. You can be part of that story by joining our team in one of the many volunteer or intern programs that we offer throughout the Aquarium.