Educate your community about marine life!
The Ocean Neighbors Project is a 10-week volunteer opportunity that connects the Aquarium of the Pacific with your local community. Participants will receive a large sign to display in their yard or window that includes laminated prompts used to educate their neighbors about the animals that call the Pacific Ocean their home. Participants will log-on to a 1-hour interactive lesson about a specific group of marine animals each week. Participants will then select a species from that group to research and will conduct independent research about the animal that they choose. Participants can post the information to their sign and display it for their neighbors to learn about marine life.
Check out our video for more information
- Participants must be in the 6th -12th grade by the start of the program.
- Have reliable internet access
- Able to attend weekly meetings (via zoom)
- Able to work independently
- Attend training session
- Pick up supplies at the Aquarium on specified date if you live within 35 miles from the Aquarium. For those living outside the specified radius, you will be offered the opportunity to have materials mailed to you.
Session Duration: May - August (10 weeks)
- Applications will be open on April 25th
- Application Deadline: May 23rd
- Acceptance: June 2nd
- Materials will be distributed beginning on June 5th & June 12th (Materials not Required to attend training)
Program Start Date: Training Begins June 9th (participants must be available on June 9th for training) Online Meetings Wednesdays 5:30-6:30 PM PT. Mandatory Training for new participants June 9th (training)
- Week 1 June 16th
- Week 2 June 23rd
- Week 3 June 30th
- Week 4 July 7th
- Week 5 July 14th
- Week 6 July 21st
- Week 7 July 28th
- Week 8 August 4th
- Week 9 August 11th
- Week 10 August 18th
Notes for application:
- A completed application is required for consideration and will include two additional documents that need to be uploaded to the application - 1.) A letter of recommendation and 2.) a personal essay. The letter of recommendation should be from an adult outside of their nuclear family who can speak on the applicant’s interest in marine life and ability to work independently. We also require a short, written essay from the participant telling us why they would like to join the program.
- Please be sure that when applying to select a username and password that the prospective participant will remember. They will need this information in the future. The email used should be on that gets checked on a regular basis, as this is the primary form of communication regarding updates, deadlines and Aquarium information.
- All applications will be reviewed after the deadline, and correspondence including acceptance will be notified via email.
Fundraise for the Aquarium!
Did you know that starting a fundraiser is an easy way to support the Aquarium?
Adopt an Animal Today!
Receive special benefits including an adoption certificate, event invitations, and animal updates.