Educate your community about marine life! The Ocean Neighbors Project is a 10-week volunteer opportunity that connects the Aquarium of the Pacific with your local community.
Aquarium of the Pacific
The Ocean Neighbors Project is a 10-week volunteer opportunity that connects the Aquarium of the Pacific with your local community. Participants will receive a large sign to display in their yard or window that includes laminated prompts used to educate their neighbors about the animals that call the Pacific Ocean their home. Participants will log-on to a 1-hour interactive lesson about a specific group of marine animals each week. Participants will then select a species from that group to research and will conduct independent research about the animal that they choose. Participants can post the information to their sign and display it for their neighbors to learn about marine life.
Check out our video for more information
- Participants must be in the 6th -12th grade by the start of the program.
- Have reliable internet access
- Able to attend weekly meetings (via zoom)
- Able to work independently
- Attend training session
- Pick up supplies at the Aquarium on specified date if you live within 35 miles from the Aquarium. For those living outside the specified radius, you will be offered the opportunity to have materials mailed to you.
Spring 2022 Session: February - May (10 weeks)
- 12/1/22: Applications Open
- 1/22/22: Application Deadline
- 2/9/22: Training Online Meeting, 5:30-6:30 PM PT (Required)
- 2/12/22 – 2/13/22: Materials Pickup (at the Aquarium)
- 2/16/22 – 5/4/22: Wednesday Afternoon Online Meetings, 5:30-6:30 PM PT
Summer 2022 Session: July - September (10 weeks)
- 4/15/22: Applications Open
- 6/1/22: Application Deadline
- 7/6/22: Training Online Meeting, 5:30-6:30 PM PT (Required)
- 6/29/22, 7/9/22: Materials Pickup (at the Aquarium)
- 7/13/22 – 9/14/22: Wednesday Afternoon Online Meetings, 5:30-6:30 PM PT
Fall 2022 Session: September - December (10 weeks)
- 8/15/22: Applications Open
- 9/21/22: Application Deadline
- 10/5/22: Training Online Meeting, 5:30-6:30 PM PT (Required)
- 10/1/22, 10/8/22: Materials Pickup (at the Aquarium)
- 10/12/22 – 12/21/22: Wednesday Afternoon Online Meetings, 5:30-6:30 PM PT
Notes for application:
- A completed application is required for consideration and will include two additional documents that need to be uploaded to the application - 1.) A letter of recommendation and 2.) a personal essay. The letter of recommendation should be from an adult outside of their nuclear family who can speak on the applicant’s interest in marine life and ability to work independently. We also require a short, written essay from the participant telling us why they would like to join the program.
- Please be sure that when applying to select a username and password that the prospective participant will remember. They will need this information in the future. The email used should be on that gets checked on a regular basis, as this is the primary form of communication regarding updates, deadlines and Aquarium information.
- All applications will be reviewed after the deadline, and correspondence including acceptance will be notified via email.
Volunteering at the Aquarium
The Aquarium owes much of its success to our dedicated and committed volunteer staff. You can be part of that story by joining our team in one of the many volunteer or intern programs that we offer throughout the Aquarium.