- 2015: The Aquarium was awarded a 2015 Cool Planet Award in the education sector from The Climate Registry and Southern California Edison for its efforts in energy and carbon management.
The Cool Planet Award recognizes Southern California Edison business customers for demonstrating exemplary leadership in energy and carbon management within their business size and industry sector.
- 2014: Aquarium voted the best green company to work for.
The Aquarium was recognized for its sustainability practices in a Winning Workplace survey conducted by the LA Daily News and its affiliates, and Pacific Collection store’s kelp glass wall was awarded the 2014 A.R.E. design award for “wall treatment” and grand prize for “Sustainability: Tenant Improvement”. A.R. E. (The Association for Retail Environments) is an international 700 member non-profit trade association, advancing the retail environments industry.
- 2013: City of Long Beach Office of Sustainability named the Aquarium in its Green Business Recognition Program.
The Aquarium was acknowledged for its progressive and environmentally conscious practices.
- 2012: Aquarium first among museums, zoos, and aquariums to receive the Governor’s Environmental and Economic Leadership Award (GEELA).
This program was established in 1993 and is California’s most prestigious environmental award, according to the California EPA. The award recognizes those responsible for conserving California’s resources, protecting and enhancing the environment, and building private-public partnerships.
- 2009: Aquarium awarded the 2009 Super Nova Star Award as the most energy-efficient business with annual revenues under $150 million.
The nationally based Alliance to Save Energy recognized the Aquarium for registering its greenhouse gases, its investment in energy-efficiency technologies, its climate conservation practices, and for serving as a leader in educating the community about sustainable activities.
- 2008: Aquarium received Green Building of America Award by the Real Estate & Construction Review for the SAVOR Watershed Classroom & Our Watersheds exhibit.
The project was selected for its innovative and unique approach to green design and construction.