VolunTEENs create lifelong memories while building skills in science communication. Teens engage with guests about conservation and marine science during a 60 hour volunteer commitment on site at the Aquarium of the Pacific. Volunteering provides teens with insight into careers in marine biology, valuable work experience and an opportunity to connect with Aquarium Staff within a cohort of peers who share similar interests.
What do VolunTEENS do?
VolunTEENS are trained to interpret to our guests about the Aquarium, its inhabitants and ecosystem, focusing on experiential learning for guests. From carts educating guests on conservation issues to engaging at touch pool experiences, VolunTEENs gain confidence and public speaking skills while learning about marine life.
- Be between the ages of 14 to 16
- Complete an online application
- Participate in an onsite interview process
- If accepted, must complete mandatory trainings and commit to regular volunteer shifts at the Aquarium of the Pacific (60 hours)
- Mandatory trainings include an online self-led training and one onsite training day
- Session training dates listed below (must attend online and onsite training!)
To submit a complete application, you will need the following items:
* A digital copy of your school transcripts
* A Short Personal Statement: Tell us in 300 to 400 words, why we should select you for this program. You should include personal attributes that will benefit the Aquarium and what you hope to gain from the experience. You are urged to be creative; let your personality show! Each of these items must be uploaded to your online application.
- December 15 (2022): Applications Open
- January 15: Application Deadline
- January 27, 28 and 29: Interviews
- February 5: Acceptance
- February 6 – 17: Online Training
- February 18 or 19: Onsite Training
- February 25 - May 7: Weekly shifts (Weekends only)
- Please note, we will NOT have VolunTEEN shifts on Easter weekend (4/8-4/9) and Grand Prix (4/15-4/16)
- May 14 - Family Night (Program Completion Ceremony)
- April 12: Applications Open
- May 12: Application Deadline
- May 19, 20, and 21: Interviews
- May 24: Acceptance
- May 25 – June 10: Online Training
- June 11 or 17: Onsite Training
- June 24 – August 20: Weekly shifts (Monday - Sunday)
- August 27- Family Night (Program Completion Ceremony)