Kelp Forest Conservation Grades 6th- 8th
Students will learn how kelp forest ecosystems are supported by ocean producers such as kelp and phytoplankton.
Discover the conservation story of the sea otter, illustrating the delicate balance of kelp forest communities in our educational video. A lesson outline, activities, and worksheets are also included to use while students make animal observations using the live Blue Cavern webcam.
Supports the Following Next Generation Science Standards:
- MS-LS2-1 Analyze and interpret data to provide evidence for the effects of resource availability on organisms and populations of organisms in an ecosystem.
- MS-LS2-2 Construct an explanation that predicts patterns of interactions among organisms across multiple ecosystems.
- MS-LS2-3 Develop a model to describe the cycling of matter and flow of energy among living and nonliving parts of an ecosystem.
- MS-LS2-4 Construct an argument supported by empirical evidence that changes to physical or biological components of an ecosystem affect populations.
- MS-LS1-5 Construct a scientific explanation based on evidence for how environmental and genetic factors influence the growth of organisms.
- MS-LS1-6 Construct a scientific explanation based on evidence for the role of photosynthesis in the cycling of matter and flow of energy into and out of organisms.
- MS-ESS3-3 Apply scientific principles to design a method for monitoring and minimizing a human impact of the environment