Amazing Adaptations Grades 3rd-5th
How does a sea horse protect itself? Why are penguins such good swimmers? Go on an adventure with characters Captain Joe and Scuba Shara as they investigate a mysterious ocean animal with some very interesting adaptations.
Using the Sea Dragon and Penguin webcams, students can make live animals observations to spark questions and discussions about animal adaptations. Worksheets and lesson outlines are provided to help guide this adventure.
Supports the Following Next Generation Science Standards:
- 3-LS2-1 Construct an argument that some animals form groups that help members survive.
- 3-LS3-2 Use evidence to support the explanation that traits can be influenced by the environment.
- 3-LS4-3 Construct an argument with evidence that in a particular habitat some organisms can survive well, some survive less well, and some cannot survive at all.
- 3-LS4-4 Make a claim about the merit of a solution to a problem caused when the environment changes and the types of plants and animals that live there may change
- 4-LS1-1 Construct an argument that plants, and animals have internal and external structures that function to support survival, growth, behavior, and reproduction.
- 5-ESS3-1. Obtain and combine information about ways individual communities use science ideas to protect the Earth’s resources and environment.