Aquaculture Siting Workshop
On July 16, 2007 the Aquarium of the Pacific organized and facilitated a day and a half workshop that brought together scientists, restaurateurs, participants from the aquaculture industry, and representatives of governmental agencies to explore siting of fish farms in state and federal waters of the Southern California Bight.
The goals of the workshop were to:
- Determine the offshore zones within which the physics of water motion and mixing create conditions favorable to siting offshore farms.
- Describe a process of defining and evaluating zones, identifying farm sites within these zones, and assessing environmental impacts of different scales of aquaculture operations.
- Develop elements of a comprehensive program including modeling and monitoring.
- Determine types of farms most appropriate for California.
- Identify candidate species suitable for marine aquaculture in California waters.