The purpose of the Volunteer Services/ Teen programs internship is to give students experience in managing teen programs and volunteer programs in a non-profit organization such as the Aquarium of the Pacific. VolunTEENS is a program geared towards high school students ages 14-16 with an interest in marine biology. Students participate in an 80 hour volunteer program for 10 weeks in the Fall and Spring, during which they will learn about the many wonders of the Pacific Ocean and create extraordinary experiences for our guests. Marine Science Academy is a program in partnership with St. Anthony’s High School. Students practice the same skills as the VolunTEEN program Monday thru Thursday.
A successful intern will gain experience necessary for supervising a volunteer teen program including training, scheduling, daily activities and weekly educational updates. In addition, interns will learn the basic functions of a volunteer program – from recruiting to training, organization, and recognition.
Commitment: Summer Only. Minimum of 11 weeks for 15 – 20/ week.
- Some experience working with high school students is preferred but not required.
- Flexible, quick on their feet and able to work with numerous other departments.
- Ability to solve conflicts quickly and calmly
- College student or recent graduate interested in a career in biology, volunteer services, teaching, or human resources
- Pursuing a degree in: Leisure and Recreation or Biology (all fields are welcome).
- Computer skills: Microsoft Excel.