This intern will be responsible for assisting the Boats Coordinator on photo IDing blue whales, fin whales, and humpback whales during our daily whale watching cruises, as well as interpreting data to guests at the Aquarium.
Commitment: 15-20 hours/week for 15 weeks
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Taking dorsal fin photos of animals encountered during daily cruises
- Maintain detailed data logs of sightings and enter them into ACESS databases
- Answer questions and interpreting for guests on board.
- Photo processing and IDing individual whales seen during daily trips
- Create a project to display to Aquarium guests using whale data
- Aid with hydrophone equipment
- Must be 18 or over
- Major/ed in biology, marine biology, or conservation a plus
- Lift a maximum of 50 lbs
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Each applicant must have a broad knowledge of ecological and biological principles, especially those relating to marine habitats,
- Ability to spend many hours standing especially on a boat
- Experience working with digital SLR camera’s a plus but not required
- Experience in data entry, preferably with Microsoft Access
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Be able to demonstrate exceptional leadership qualities and work with a diverse group of people.