The purpose of the Education intern position is to give students practical experience in an informal education environment.
Our internship program provides college-level students the opportunity to become part of an informal education team while working side by side with Aquarium professionals. In this program interns will learn about the southern California ocean habitat through hands-on experiences, while developing strategies for communicating ocean sciences. In this role, students will engage summer camp children by facilitating classroom discussions and teaching marine science related activities. Additionally they will join our interpretation staff during offsite education experiences such as outreaches and whale watch trips. Education interns will also assist in weekend and overnight programs that host both families and schools. Throughout the duration of the internship, interns will be expected to advance a project that focuses on the development of a topical lesson plan to be used in our summer camp classroom.
Commitment: Minimum commitment is 10 weeks, 24 hours per week. This opportunity is only available during the summer. This is an unpaid internship.
- Working towards or recently completed Bachelor degree
- Experience working with children
- Self-motivated, reliable, and able to work outdoors in hot weather
- Ability to abide by all Aquarium of the Pacific employee guidelines and policies
- Ability to exercise care and judgment when working with exhibits and animals
Knowledge and Skills
- Basic marine science or marine biology knowledge preferred, but not required
- Effective communication skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Previous customer service experience is preferred, but not required