Our internship program provides college-level students the opportunity to become part of an informal education team, working side by side with Aquarium professionals, and gaining knowledge through hands-on experience. In this program our interns will develop classroom management skills, practice public speaking, and teach in a classroom setting. All education internships are unpaid.
Commitment: As an education intern your minimum commitment would be 12 weeks, 20-40 hours per week. This opportunity is only available in the summer.
EDUCATION INTERN RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Engage students with summer day camp programs by facilitating classroom discussions, games, crafts, and teaching marine science related activities.
- Interpret with guests about the Aquarium’s animal collection in exhibit galleries or at stations such as shark lagoon or ray pool.
- Participate in education public programs such as outreaches, weekend family programs, whale watches, and overnights.
- Complete an intern project.
- Experience working with children.
- Working towards or recently completed Bachelor degree
- Basic marine science or marine biology knowledge preferred, but not required
- Experience working in camps or other informal settings preferred, but not required
- Previous customer service experience is preferred, but not required
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Effective communication skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- General PC knowledge in Microsoft Word®, Excel®, and PowerPoint®