Thank you for booking an Aquarium on Wheels program for your group/event. Please review the FAQs below and the details on the type of program you have booked. In order to finalize our visit to your site we will need some logistical information.
- I booked Aquarium on Wheels… now what happens?
- In order to finalize our visit to your site we will need some logistical information. Complete the form for your appropriate program. Once received, you will be contacted by an Education staff member 3-4 weeks before your scheduled date to review these details via phone or email. Please expect this call/email. We will contact the person who made the reservation.
- What time will Aquarium on Wheels arrive at our site?
- On the day of your scheduled program, Aquarium on Wheels will arrive at your site approximately 30 – 60 minutes prior to the start of your programs. Please have someone available to meet our educators when they arrive to direct them to the correct parking spot.
- What type of parking does the Aquarium on Wheels truck require?
- The truck is approximately 32’ long, 9’ wide, and 13’ tall. When on display, stairs fold out of the back and side adding an additional 8’ to the length and width. The truck should be parked on a hard (no grass), flat, level surface. This vehicle will be used in the touch portion of the program and must be safely accessible for the participants.
When Aquarium on Wheels is booked for any program type the site must coordinate a parking space that is easily accessible, both in and out of the parking space. In the event of an animal or life support related emergency, we need to ensure a safe exit from the event site.
- Does the Aquarium on Wheels vehicle require any electrical hook-up?
- No. The vehicle is completely self contained and does not require any electrical hook-up at your site. Our life support systems run from a generator on board the vehicle.
- What is the Aquarium on Wheels cancellation and refund policy?
- The Aquarium on Wheels is a very unique program in which we utilize live aquatic animals. In the event that the welfare of these delicate animals is compromised, the Aquarium of the Pacific reserves the right to modify or even cancel a program. We will do everything in our power to keep our scheduled appointment with the Aquarium on Wheels, however, if a situation does arise, be it a travel or animal issue, you will be notified as soon as possible and alternate arrangements will be made at that time.
We understand that situations can arise that would necessitate you having to cancel your program. Please realize that the later you cancel your program, the less likely we are able to fill the vacancy you have created.
- Cancellations made one month prior to the scheduled visit time will not be billed.
- Cancellations made less than one month prior will be billed 50% of the cost.
- Cancellations made less than two weeks prior to the scheduled visit will be billed the full amount.
- Scholarship recipients – Due to the nature of the program we will not be able to accommodate any cancellations. If you should cancel your Aquarium on Wheels visit your scholarship funds will be reallocated to the next school on the waiting list.
- We have scheduled an auditorium program; do we need to supply anything?
- Please reserve a room able to accommodate all participants, up to 150 (i.e. auditorium, gym, multi-purpose room). We will bring our own AV equipment. NOTE: This space must have electrical outlets.
- Can the auditorium presentation be done outside?
- If there is no inside space available, we can do a modified program outside. Please keep in mind, however, that this program will not have the same components as an indoor program.
- How long is the auditorium presentation?
- The Pacific Journeys auditorium presentation will last approximately 60 minutes. Under the Sea Shapes (preschool program) will last approximately 35 – 40 minutes.
- If we scheduled an auditorium program, when do the participants touch animals?
- Participants will touch animals after the auditorium or classroom presentation. Individual classes/groups visit the Aquarium on Wheels vehicle at a designated time. You will be responsible for scheduling each class/group a 15-20-minute time slot for animal encounter. Below is an example time sheet to assist you in scheduling the various classes/groups into their time slot.
- Why is there a 150 student maximum per program?
- We set our program size at 150 to ensure that every participant gets the best possible experience. Although your auditorium space may accommodate more students, the entire AOW experience includes animal touch time with individualized Aquarium staff and student interaction. We have found that in programs over 150 participants, the quality of the animal encounter has been impacted. Therefore, it is essential you adhere to the maximum number of 150 students per auditorium program.
- Example Auditorium Schedule
- This is just an example but may be used as a guide to prepare your school’s/group’s schedule. Each situation is unique. For example, school start/end times, lunches, number of participants, etc. can be different. If having two auditorium programs, some groups opt to have the two presentations back to back.
8:00 - 9:00 a.m. Auditorium Presentation #1 Rm. # Teacher # students 9:05 - 9:20 a.m. Rm. 1 Mrs. Garibaldi 20 9:20 - 9:35 a.m. Rm. 2 Mr. Sargo 20 9:35 - 9:50 a.m. Rm. 3 Ms. Perch 20 9:50 – 10:05 a.m. Rm. 4 … 20 10:05 – 10:20 a.m. Rm. 5 20 10:20 - 10:35 a.m. Rm. 6 20 10:35 – 10:50 a.m. Rm. 7 30 Total *150 10:50 - 11:20 a.m. LUNCH *Only if you are having two programs 11:30 a.m. – 12:20 p.m. Auditorium Presentation #2 12:25 - 12:40 p.m. Rm. 13 20 12:40 - 12:55 p.m. Rm. 14 20 12:55 – 1:10 p.m. Rm. 15 20 1:10 – 1:25 p.m. Rm. 16 20 1:25 - 1:40 p.m. Rm. 17 20 1:40 - 1:55 p.m. Rm. 18 20 1:55 – 2:10 p.m. Rm. 19 30 Total *150 Total number of students for two programs= 150+150= 300
Please note we can accommodate up to 150 participants per auditorium program. This includes animal encounter. This total program (auditorium + animal encounter schedule) should take no more than 3.5 hours from start to finish. If you have more than 150 participants you will need to book 2 auditorium programs. We can allow for short breaks in the schedule of up to 45 minutes. For every additional 15 minutes there is a charge of $25. When you have prepared a schedule, please fax a copy to (562) 951-3192.
- We have scheduled a classroom program; do we need to supply anything?
- Please reserve a room able to accommodate all participants, up to 50 (i.e. classroom, auditorium, gym, multi-purpose room) and a table to place the supplies that we bring with us to teach. It is best for us to set up in a space that allows the students to come to us during the programs.
- Can the classroom presentation be done outside?
- Yes. If there is no inside space available, we can do the programs outside.
- How long is the classroom presentation?
- The classroom presentation will last approximately 50 minutes.
- If we scheduled a classroom program, when do the participants touch animals?
- Once the classroom portion is complete, the Aquarium instructor will lead the class/group to the vehicle for animal encounter.
- Example Classroom Schedule
- Below is a sample schedule of classroom programs. You will notice that programs overlap. Two educators will be assigned to your school and this allows for the programs to be taught this way.
8:00 – 8:50 a.m. group 1 classroom program 8:50 – 9:20 a.m. group 1 animal interaction time 9:00 – 9:50 a.m. group 2 classroom program 9:50 – 10:20 a.m. group 2 animal interaction time 10:00 – 10:50 a.m. group 3 classroom program 10:50 – 11:20 a.m. group 3 animal interaction time