In celebration of the local Native American cultures, the Aquarium of the Pacific will host its twelfth annual Moompetam Festival. This weekend celebration will feature traditional cultural crafts, storytelling, educational programs, live demonstrations, music, and dance celebrating the indigenous California maritime cultures, including Tongva, Chumash, Acjachemen, Costanoan, Luiseno, and Kumeyaay.
Saturday, Sep 17, 2016 | 9:00 AM–5:00 PM
Sunday, Sep 18, 2016 | 9:00 AM–5:00 PM
|Cost||Included with general admission to guests. Free to Aquarium members; 20% off for their guests.|
Members get in free. Simply show your card at the entrance.
Not a member? General admission is required. You can purchase tickets online.
|Info||(562) 590-3100, ext. 0|
Moompetam: Native American Festival
In celebration of the local Native American cultures, the Aquarium of the Pacific will host its eleventh annual Moompetam Festival.Aquarium of the Pacific DD/MM/YYYY
Cultural Demonstrations and Activities / Great Hall
- Tongva Soapstone Necklaces - Julia Bogany
- Blas Aguilar Adobe Museum – Juaneno Cultural Museum –Domingo Belardes
- Tongva Cultural Materials – Virginia Carmelo & Family
- Chumash Cultural Display – Alan Salazar
- Ataham Arts Cultural Display - Michael Bracamontes
- Tongva Hunting and Warriors Materials - Kevin Nunez
- Coastal Native American Cultural Materials - Heidi Perez
- Kitanemuk Chumash Yowlumne Tejon Indians Basket Weaving - Dee Dominguez
- Tongva Language and Cultural Display – Jacob Gutierrez, Keepers of Indigenous Ways
Cultural Demonstrations and Activities / Plaza in Front of Aquarium
Please get a hand stamp at the exit for re-entry to the Aquarium.
- Chumash Tomol Plank Canoe Display - Chumash Maritime Association / Ray Ward
- Acjachemen Ethnobotany Display - Abe Sanchez
- Chumash Cultural Display with Children’s Craft - Oscar Ortiz
- Children’s Game Activities – Trish Rios
- Kumeyaay Cultural Activities – Stan Rodriguez SUNDAY ONLY
- Tule Dolls Workshop – Sue Nakao – 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
Heritage Award 1:40 p.m. on Saturday at Honda Blue Cavern
Jacque Nunez in recognition of dedicated service to Native American communities
Acknowledgements: The Aquarium of the Pacific wishes to thank our emcees Jacque Nunez, Marcus Lopez, and Sutimiw Pa’alat and our many advising elders and volunteers.