- Assist the boat program coordinator in reviewing, editing, and managing our cetacean sighting and photo database
- Processing photos and sighting data for further utilization, editing and proofing data to ensure accuracy, and using processed photos to identify individual cetaceans from a catalog of known cetaceans
- Participate in community science projects identifying individual whales and dolphins, and creating new ID catalogs of cetaceans.
- Using dorsal and caudal fin photos of animals encountered during daily whale watches for ID matching
- Maintaining detailed data logs of sightings
Minimum commitment of 6 months volunteering at least 12 hours per month. Consistent attendance is required with a suggested schedule of one 4 hour shift on a set day each week.
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Ability to spend long periods of time sitting and working on a computer
- Experience working with digital photos and Adobe Lightroom a plus, but not required
- Experience in data entry a plus, but not required
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks independently
In addition to Aquarium 101, whale ID volunteers will be trained by the program coordinator in the Aquarium of the Pacific’s methods of data entry, data editing, and photo management
Whale ID volunteers will be working at a computer station for periods of up to 4 hours. In situations where ID volunteers are taken on the whale watch with the program coordinator or photo ID interns, conditions on the water can be very wavy, high winds, and potentially rain. Water and wind proof jackets are available for single day use from the education department.
Recognition for hours of service; complimentary tickets awarded quarterly; discounts at Pacific Collections & Café Scuba; discounted tickets and memberships; free parking while volunteering; opportunity to attend lectures and workshops; and all other benefits as described in the Aquarium of the Pacific Volunteer Handbook.
Not accepting applications at this time.