Junior Exhibit Guide
We are looking for enthusiastic and outgoing middle school students (6-8th graders) who have a passion for learning and sharing information about the Pacific Ocean.
We are apologize for the inconvenience but this volunteer is program is temporarily postponed until further notice. Please check back for updates and other unique volunteer opportunities.
Position/Assignment: Middle School Volunteer Program
Purpose: Middle School Volunteers, Junior Exhibit Guides (JEG) are responsible for engaging in a learning conversation with Aquarium guests regarding the animals and exhibits throughout the Aquarium and providing an excellent guest experience for visitors. Participants will be trained on marine related information and skills to help them interact with the public.
Applicants should show great interest in marine biology and related fields, should be outgoing and be willing to take direction from supervisors, as well as peers.
- Greet Aquarium guests as they enter the galleries.
- Educate guest about Aquarium's exhibits and animals.
- Provide friendly service to Aquarium guests.
- Help the Aquarium fulfill its mission.
This program is offered twice a year; participants may choose to apply for the Fall (Late October to Early February) or Spring (Late February to Mid to Late May) session. This program will be held on weekends only; participants be assigned a Saturday or a Sunday shift and will be expected to participate each week from 10AM – 2PM.
- Loves to learn about the ocean.
- Loves to share their passion and knowledge about the ocean.
- Minimum age of 11 and maximum age of 14.
- Reliable and responsible.
Training: Participants will complete an 8 hour day training at the beginning of the program. Ongoing training will be provided by their assigned Teen Exhibit Leader and the program coordinator.
Supervision: Junior Exhibit Guides are under the supervision their assigned Teen Exhibit Leader who will coach each participant throughout the duration of each shift. The Junior Exhibit Guide and Teen Exhibit Leader report to the Youth Volunteer Coordinator within the volunteer services department. In the absence of the Volunteer Coordinator, supervision is provided by the Volunteer Manager. This program aims to foster responsibility and independence among our young participants. We will happily allow a visit or two from parents to see their child's growing progress during the session; however we do not encourage parents to regularly stay on site during the time of their volunteer shift.
Pick up and Drop off: Participants will be must be picked up and dropped off in a timely manner. Drop off window will be no more than thirty minutes prior to the start of their shift, and pick up cannot extend 15 minutes past the end of their shift. Failure to comply to pick up and drop off rules may result in dismissal of the program.
Working conditions: Junior Exhibit Guides must be able to stand for long periods of time and be able to lift 15lbs.
Benefits: Junior Exhibit Guides will gain communication skills and have the opportunity to learn about marine biology and related fields. Recognition for hours of service; complimentary tickets will be awarded at the end of the session; discounts at Pacific Collections & Café Scuba; discounted tickets and memberships; free parking while volunteering; all other benefits described in the volunteer handbook; and, participation in a lively and interactive department.
Fall 2019 Session
- Application Deadline: September 20, 2019
- Applications will be reviewed after application deadline date. Each person will receive notification of applications status 1 to 2 weeks after application deadline date via email.
- Interviews: Mid-October from 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- Program Start Date: Last weekend of October – Mid February
Spring 2020 Session
- Application Deadline: January 17th 2020
- Applications will be reviewed after application deadline. Each person will receive notification of applications status 1 to 2 weeks after application deadline date via email.
- Interviews: February, exact dates and time TBD
- Program Start Date: Last weekend of February 2020
To Apply: If you are interested fill out the Junior Exhibit Guide application request form to get started.
Volunteering at the Aquarium
The Aquarium owes much of its success to our dedicated and committed volunteer staff. You can be part of that story by joining our team in one of the many volunteer or intern programs that we offer throughout the Aquarium.