Aquarium Ambassador Volunteer
Volunteer as an Aquarium Ambassador!
We are looking for smiling, outgoing, ocean-loving individuals who are excited to brighten everyone’s day! Help people find their way safely around the Aquarium, answer common guest questions, and partner with other departments to assist guests in enjoying their day and understanding Aquarium instructions throughout the spaces.
Aquarium Ambassador Volunteers are the face of the Aquarium, and are located throughout the facility in order to assist guests and enhance the guest experience. This gives each volunteer the opportunity to provide our guests with the utmost in Service Excellence, which is one of our core values.
Our volunteers are stationed throughout the facility, including our galleries and elevator spaces.
- Volunteers are stationed in zones where their role is to guide guests and promote a safe flow of traffic within the building.
- Ensure a safe and healthy environment for Aquarium staff and guests.
- Resolve general guest issues and refer guests to a Supervisor when needed.
- Answer all questions to the best of your ability, with the desire to help guests explore and discover the Pacific Ocean through our galleries and interactive exhibits.
- Use the radio or phone to help address guest questions and needs, as appropriate.
- Attend daily meetings to learn about new policies, exhibits, and general updates before your volunteering shift.
- Seek out guest interaction by taking initiative in order to heighten the guest’s experience and provide them with exceptional customer service.
- Outgoing and friendly personality.
- Passion for customer service.
- Ready to greet and direct guests of all ages.
- Willingness to be a team player and to take direction and input from both volunteer and paid supervisors.
- Ability to take initiative when guests need assistance.
- Flexibility in learning new approaches to guest engagement and communication.
- Maintaining updated information on current guest and staff protocols.
- Willingness to problem solve.
- At least 16 years old.
Minimum commitment of 3 months volunteering at least 15 hours per month, with a minimum contribution of 50 hours. Consistent attendance on assigned shifts is required. Schedule options are one 5 hour shift on a set day each week.
Shift times are:
- 8:30 a.m – 1:30 p.m.
- 11:00 a.m – 4:00 p.m
- 1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Aquarium Ambassador Volunteers are usually on their feet for extended periods; there is seating at some stations. Volunteers are expected to be friendly, focused, and professional for the full 5 hour shift, which includes one 30 minute education session, and one meal break. Some of the areas critical to this position are outside. A daily rotation is in place, so volunteers must be able to move from one position to another. Each station location requires the ability to interact with guests. Reasonable accommodations may be made on an individual basis.
Two trainings are required: a 2-hour Ambassador Training and a 3-hour Aquarium 101 class. Please note that these trainings are offered on a digital learning platform and can be completed at your own pace. New volunteers are supported by assigned Ambassador Leads for each shift, to talk through daily shifts and questions until they demonstrate proficiency at each Ambassador zone. Volunteers will be expected to attend shift updates, keep updated by reviewing weekly update emails, and remain current on any other training that may arise as policies change or are revised.
Recognition for hours of service; complimentary tickets awarded regularly; discounts at Pacific Collections & Café Scuba; discounted tickets and memberships (subject to change due to current circumstances); free parking while volunteering; opportunity to attend lectures and workshops when available; and all other benefits as described in the AOP Volunteer Handbook.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Aquarium Ambassadors at the Aquarium of the Pacific!