Facilities Technician- Fabrication
Full Time, Eligible for Benefits
The Facilities Department is currently looking for a skilled generalist, performing at a journey-level in Fabrication with strong skills in other trades.
The skills to be considered are HVAC, electrical, mechanical/machinery repair, plumbing, masonry & concrete, and carpentry. Aquarium Facilities Technicians perform a variety of skilled preventive and general maintenance, repair, construction and renovation work to the facility and systems.
- Welding (mainly stainless steel) in MIG, TIG, and Arc welding processes. Experience in pipe welding highly desired.
- Proficient with the use of Oxy-Acetylene and Plasma torches
- General metal work (cutting grinding)
- Layout and design
- Establishes and maintains equipment maintenance records as required and reviews historical maintenance records to develop proactive inspection, testing and preventive maintenance schedule.
- Performs preventative maintenance, inspections, troubleshoots, isolates, and coordinates the repair of faulty facilities and life support systems and equipment.
- Assists in the continuing development and implementation of a preventative maintenance program for all facilities and life support equipment in the Aquarium.
- Provide technical support and labor in the following disciplines: Electrical, HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), machinery repair, carpentry and general fabrication.
- Reviews and becomes familiar with the drawings and technical aspects of all systems within the Aquarium.
- Assists in the design and construction of the facilities life support equipment for the changing exhibit area and future additions to the Aquarium.
- Responds to maintenance service calls in a timely manner.
- Available to work flexible hours (overtime as required, rotating weekends, and holidays as scheduled).
- Demonstrated self-motivation and the ability to work independently.
Knowledge & Skills
- Requires a working knowledge and understanding of OSHA and Cal OSHA safety requirements for the work being performed.
- Ability to design, fabricate, install, operate, troubleshoot, and repair plumbing and pumping systems using PVC, CPVC, polyethylene, FRP, copper and black iron pipe.
- Ability to install, align, balance, troubleshoot, and repair mechanized equipment such as motors, pumps, hydraulic systems, etc.
- Ability to work from discussions, directions, and drawings to conceptualize and construct complete assemblies, systems, displays, or exhibits using multiple skills. Ability to read and accurately interpret prints, schematics, P&ID’s and drawings.
- Ability to fabricate structures and equipment as required using wood, fiberglass (FRP), glass, acrylic and related materials.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Welding Certification(s).
- Multi-skilled in technical disciplines with a minimum of one required and two preferred: HVAC, electrical, machinery repair, carpentry and general fabrication.
- Must exercise safe work practices at all times.
- Possess a valid California driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to sit, stand and walk for long periods of time
- Ability to balance, bend, squat, climb, kneel, crawl, twist
- Ability to lift and carry up to 0-50lbs
- Ability to pull and push up to 0-100lbs
- Ability to work at a variety of heights
- Full functional range of motion in all major body joints from reaching, twisting, bending, simple and power gripping, fine and gross motor skills
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Exposure to variations in temperature, humidity or wetness
- Periodically work in close proximity to animals
- Wet, dirty, uneven surfaces and walkways
- Exposure to confined spaces
- Exposure to work in an industrial environment, including areas with low headroom, difficult access
- Ability to work around and use hazardous chemicals with proper PPE
- Use of special auditory, visual, and personal protective equipment
- Exposure to working with bio-hazards
- Aquarium habitats and open ocean environments
Interested and Qualified?
If you meet the requirements of this position, click on the link below to “APPLY NOW.” You will be directed to our web application process, the successful completion of which is required by all applicants. There are THREE simple steps to this process, which is administered by HireSelect:
- You will complete a brief web application;
- You will attach or build your resume;
- You will complete the PCI aptitude assessment.
Upon completion of all THREE steps, your submission will be forwarded to our hiring team for consideration. If you are among the most qualified applicants, we will contact you within two to three weeks. If you do not hear from us within that time, feel free to reapply in the future as other opportunities arise. Thank you so much for your interest in the Aquarium of the Pacific! The Aquarium of the Pacific is an Equal Opportunity Employer.