Apply to Present at the Citizen Science Symposium
Anyone involved or interested in citizen science, particularly those in Southern California, is invited and encouraged to attend this symposium. Attendees will include practitioners who design citizen science programs, volunteers currently participating in these programs, as well as students, educators, and anyone with an interest in becoming a citizen scientist or starting a citizen science program. The audience will represent diverse disciplines in conservation fields with varying levels of experience. The most important opportunities at the symposium will be those that allow participants to make connections, share their knowledge and information with others, and learn from experts and fellow citizen scientists.
The symposium will start with a keynote presentation, followed by a series of five minute lightning talks. After a break for lunch and an optional BioBlitz (citizen science data collection of wildlife in the vicinity using the iNaturalist app), there will be a moderated panel discussions and special session presentations. The day will end with a poster session, and networking reception outside on the Aquarium’s upstairs Veranda.
We are currently accepting submissions for the Lightning Round presentations and Poster session. Abstract Submission Deadline is February 16, 2018.
- Presenters will have 5 minutes to present (we recommend practicing ahead of time to make sure you can get everything you want to say in 5 minutes or less).
- No questions will be taken during this session. There will be time at the end for audience members to approach the speakers with questions and comments.
- Please use the same title and content submitted in your presentation application (see below).
- You will receive a 1-minute warning before the end of your presentation and must stop when cued to do so when your time is up.
- If you plan to embed a video or link to the internet in your presentation, you need to let us know in advance.
- Please use the same poster title and content submitted in your online proposal.
- Include all coauthors if applicable.
- The poster title should be large enough to be read from approximately 5-10 feet away.
- Poster size: 32”h x 48”w
FREE printing and on site set-up of the posters will be available, for those who have submitted a digital copy of the completed poster on or before March 9, 2018.
Participants will be notified by email no later than February 23, 2018 about whether or not their abstract was accepted, and for which session (Lightning Talk or Poster). Submission details will be included in the emails notifying participants that their abstracts were accepted. If you will be printing the poster on your own and bringing it to the symposium, we ask that a digital copy be submitted by March 24th so that your poster can be included in the Symposium Proceedings published online after the symposium.