The Aquarium’s Teen Science Café is an informal learning program promoting exploration, stewardship, and scientific inquiry. The Science Café team plans and develops a talk or casual learning program with scientists. The talks are designed to help scientists connect with local teens about the science and technology changing their world and discover new opportunities for ocean stewardship. Teen Science Café programs engage scientists and the public in conversation on interesting science topics in a highly social setting. By specifically connecting teens to scientists, students will work with scientists to help create an interactive and highly engaging conversation about various scientific topics.
- Plan and execute a successful Aquarium of the Pacific Teen Science Café
- Participants will be responsible for outlining topics and concepts related to ocean science and stewardship.
- Market and promote these events across traditional and social media platforms
- Work with scientists to develop an engaging and interactive event where scientists communicate effectively with teens.
- Organize and coordinate locations for science cafés to occur
- Contribute to event planning, logistics, and organization
- Work as a team to produce an engaging science experience
- Reflect on best practices after the session to further develop future Teen Science Café events
- Sundays from 10am - 2pm
- October-December 2017
- Able to work independently and in groups
- Highly Organized
- Interested in ocean sciences and stewardship
- Scientifically Minded
- Possesses Leadership Qualities
Participants will attend a training class and work in groups to accomplish the tasks assigned.
Students will report to Teen Science Café Coordinators each week.
Participants will gain leadership skills, and have the opportunity work directly with scientists. Recognition for hours of service; complimentary 4 tickets awarded upon completion of the program; discounts at Pacific Collections & Café Scuba; discounted tickets and memberships; free parking while volunteering; all other benefits described in the volunteer handbook; and, participation in a lively and interactive department.
- Please click here to request an application
- Application Deadline: September 17, 2017
- Interviews will be held: September 25, 2017
- New members will attend an orientation on October 1, 2017