Junior Exhibit Guides
We are looking for enthusiastic and outgoing middle school students (6-8th graders) who have a passion for learning and sharing information about the Pacific Ocean.
We are pleased to be introducing our first ever middle school volunteer program with our Junior Exhibit Guides. Participants will learn about the Pacific Ocean and work alongside our seasoned high school volunteers.
Participants will share information with Aquarium guests regarding the animals and exhibits throughout the Aquarium and provide excellent guest experiences for visitors. Participants will be trained on marine related information and customer service skills to help them interact with the public.
Applicants should show great interest in marine biology and related fields, should be outgoing and be willing to take direction from supervisors, as well as peers.
- Greet Aquarium guests as they enter the galleries.
- Educate guest about Aquarium’s exhibits and animals.
- Provide friendly service to Aquarium guests.
- Help the Aquarium fulfill its mission.
Time commitment: This program is offered twice a year; participants may choose to apply for the Fall (November - February) or Spring (March - June) session. This program will be held on weekends only; participants be assigned a Saturday or a Sunday shift and will be expected to participate each week from 9AM – 1PM.
- Loves to learn about the ocean.
- Loves to share their passion and knowledge about the ocean.
- Minimum age of 11 and maximum age of 14.
- Reliable and responsible.
Training: Participants will complete an 8 hour day training at the beginning of the program. Ongoing training will be provided by their assigned Teen Exhibit Leader and the program coordinator.
Supervision: Junior Exhibit Guides are under the supervision their assigned Teen Exhibit Leader who will coach each participant throughout the duration of each shift. The Junior Exhibit Guide and Teen Exhibit Leader report to the Youth Volunteer Coordinator within the volunteer services department. In the absence of the Volunteer Coordinator, supervision is provided by the Volunteer Manager. This program aims to foster responsibility and independence among our young participants. We will happily allow a visit or two from parents to see their child’s growing progress during the session; however we do not encourage parents to regularly stay on site during the time of their volunteer shift.
To Apply: If you are interested fill out the Junior Exhibit Guide application request form to get started.
- Application Deadline: October 27th 2017
- Interviews: Sunday First full week of November
- Program Start Date: 2nd weekend in November
- Program runs: November - February
- Application Deadline: February 9th 2018
- Interviews: 3rd week of February
- Program Start Date: 3rd Weekend of March
- Program Runs: March - June