The purpose of the Service Excellence Internship is to gain working experience at one of Los Angeles County’s largest educational and entertainment venues. Service Excellence Interns will develop important job skills such as: time management, leadership, and interview and job preparation skills. Interns will also gain hands on customer service related experience working on the floor and coordinating special projects throughout the Aquarium’s daily operations. The Service Excellence Internship is geared towards high school students ages 16-18. This internship is only available once per year in the fall. The session requires 80 hours of service delivered in 8 hour shifts, once per week for 10 weeks.
A successful intern will gain the experience and attain the skills to qualify for an entry level position in a variety of industries that value hard work and exceptional customer service. Additionally, all interns will receive regular formal and informal feedback about their progress throughout the program by their Internship Coordinator.
Students will learn such skills and qualities as becoming outgoing, service-oriented, patient, friendly, and comfortable in crowds. Service Excellence Interns at the Aquarium of the Pacific are in many ways the “face” of our Aquarium. Our Service Excellence Interns will be the first to greet our guests (up to 10,000 a day), and the last to say good-bye as our guests depart. The Service Excellence Interns will leave the program with a very strong aptitude for working with people and understand the importance of delivering quality customer service.
Students will also participate in lectured workshops to further enhance their learning. The workshops include topics such as: successful interviewing, resume and cover letter development, public speaking, and professionalism. These workshops will include the use of both group and individual projects that are meant to further enhance lecture topics.
Service Excellence Interns’ Responsibilities Include:
- Delivering high quality, guest friendly service
- Meeting and greeting the public
- Learning and exercising selling techniques
- Active participation in lectured workshops
- Completing all take home assignments
- Completing end of work day journal entries
- Exercising active listening skills and positive body language through smiling, sustaining eye contact, keeping good posture, and speaking clearly.
- Working well within a group setting
- Application Deadline: September 10th, 2014
- Interviews during the week of September 15th, 2014
- Program Start: First weekend in October, 2014
- Program End: Mid December, 2014