Travel with us from the Aquarium of the Pacific to the rainforests of Ecuador
The Aquarium of the Pacific’s Student Eco Ambassadors (SEA) program is a highly structured volunteer role that focuses on current global issues, while providing participants a unique opportunity to travel abroad. Ambassadors will become familiar with the conservation ecology of both land and ocean environments, then educate Aquarium visitors about the importance of these ecosystems. Finally, participants will share what they’ve learned with communities in the Amazon Rainforest during their visit to Ecuador.
In partnership with Me to We, the Student Eco Ambassador program provides students with the opportunity to build the lifelong skills needed to become globally conscious citizens. Please join us on this once-in-a-lifetime journey by taking part in a program that blends science and leadership curriculum together with globetrotting adventure!
- Skills needed to become an advocate for the environment.
- An in-depth understanding of ecology, conservation and environmental issues, and solutions.
- Environmental impacts on land, sea, people, the economy and the environment.
- Workplace and leadership skills.
- Scientific concepts to the Aquarium’s guests.
- Amazonian Communities about the ocean and its inhabitants.
- Make connections by volunteering on a community project.
- Conduct an investigation and record your observations in the rainforest.
- Empower and challenge yourself.
- Inspire the Amazonian community to become stewards of the ocean.
- Come back and inspire others with your story.
|Enrollment Deadline:||April 4, 2018|
|S.E.A. Program Duration:||March 2018 - August 2018|
|Program Schedule:||5 hours on each first and third Saturday of the month from 10:00 AM- 3:00 PM|
|Age:||14-18 and currently enrolled in high school|
|Ecuador Travel:||June 20-July 3, 2018|
- February 6, 2018 from 5:30-6:30PM
- February 25, 2018 from 5:30-6:30PM
This is a free evening meeting that will discuss the details of the program as well as provide you and your parents with answers to questions you may have. We will cover the following topics:
- Travel highlights
- Safety Concerns
- Environmental Science curriculum
- Payment Deadlines
- and more…
To request an application, or for questions, please contact Raelene Child, Manager of Youth Volunteers & Internships at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or 562-951-3126.
To submit a complete application, you will need the following items:
- A digital copy of your school transcripts
- One Letter of Reference:
The recommender should not be a person related to you. We recommend that you select someone who can speak to your interest in science or marine life. Feel free to have them write an individual statement.
- A Personal Statement:
Tell us in 300 to 400 words, why we should select you for this program. You should include personal attributes that will benefit the Aquarium, your interest in Pacific Ocean marine life, and what you hope to gain from the experience. You are urged to be creative; let your personality show. Your essay must be double-spaced and in a legible font such as Arial, Tahoma or Times Roman.
Each of these items must be uploaded to your online application.