Parents/guardians volunteer side-by-side with children to instill a sense of wonder, respect and stewardship for the Pacific Ocean, its inhabitants, and its ecosystems.
Family Volunteers serve in the Education department as Exhibit Interpreters at exhibits and carts. Parents or guardians are volunteering side by side with their child(ren) (up to two children per parent/guardian) to engage guests in ocean science education. Parents/guardians are also in charge of speaking on the microphone at Ray Pool, Shark Lagoon, Penguins, and Lorikeet Forest. Family volunteers inspire wonder as they encourage our guests of all ages to explore, discover, and learn with each interaction.
- Talk with guests and help guests to explore Touch Labs, Shark Lagoon, Ray Pool, Lorikeet Forest, Penguins, exhibit galleries and biofact carts.
- Stationed primarily at those places where guests may have interaction with our marine animals.
- Provide accurate information about the animals and their ecosystems to guests, while assuring the safety of both the animal and the guest during the interaction.
- Parents speak on microphone, and are in charge of all microphone and radio usage.
- Engage guests in informative dialogue in the Galleries and throughout the Aquarium.
- A passion for the oceans and their inhabitants.
- Outgoing personalities and eagerness to share accurate information.
- Ability to speak in front of small and large groups of people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Willingness to be a team player and to take direction and input from both volunteer and paid supervisors.
- Children in the Education Volunteer program as Family Volunteers must be between 9-15 years old, and must be volunteering side-by-side with a parent or legal guardian.
Minimum commitment of 6 months volunteering at least 15 hours per month, with a minimum contribution of 100 hours. Consistent attendance is required. Schedule options are one 5.5 hour shift on a set day each week. Weekly shift times are:
- 8:30 a.m – 1:00 p.m.
- 11 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- 1 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Family Volunteers should anticipate a minimum contribution of 100 hours.
Family volunteers are usually on their feet for extended periods; there is seating at some discovery labs. Family volunteers are expected to be engaged, focused, and professional for the full 5.5 hour shift (which includes one 30 minute education session, and one 30 minute meal break). Some of the exhibit areas critical to this position are outside. Parents are in charge of all microphone and radio usage at the stations. Reasonable accommodations may be made on an individual basis.
In addition to the general orientation class Aquarium 101, Family Volunteers attend 12 hours of Critter College training on our animals and habitats. New volunteers are then assigned to shadow seasoned volunteers until they demonstrate proficiency at each exhibit area. Additionally, daily update meetings are included as a part of the volunteer’s shift to provide continuing learning in the role.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Education department’s Family Volunteer Program at the Aquarium of the Pacific!
Please create a volunteer profile account and complete the family volunteer (parent/guardian or child, as appropriate) application once per each family member interested in becoming Aquarium of the Pacific family volunteers together in our Education department.
Click the Application button below to get started!