The Aquarium of the Pacific has internship opportunities with our program animal collection.
The Program Animals Internship at the Aquarium of the Pacific is an educational opportunity for selected candidates to learn about the daily care of our animal ambassadors and the different ways to deliver educational and conservation-based messages about them to the public. Our collection includes different birds, reptiles, mammals, and arachnids. This position is designed for those with an interest in pursuing a career in animal husbandry/education with a zoo, aquarium, or similar facility. In the 15 weeks of this internship, the candidate will have the opportunity to participate in formal and informal animal presentations and meet-and-greets utilizing our animal ambassadors, learning proper animal handling techniques and valuable public speaking skills. This is a nonpaid position.
- Diet preparation and feeding
- Enclosure cleaning and maintenance
- Animal handling during public presentations
- Animal observations and recording of animal appearance and behaviors
- Creation and utilization of animal enrichment
- Learn about medical procedures and treatment
- Development of public speaking skills through presentations and meet-and-greet interactions
- Learning protocols for record keeping and documentation
- Final project to be determined by candidate and program animals intern liaison
Duration and Time Commitment:
- 15 weeks from May-August (Summer only, fall and spring internships are not offered at this time)
- 16 hours (two days) per week
- 240 hour total time commitment
- Must have an interest in pursuing a career in animal husbandry or education
- Must be currently enrolled in or recently graduated from a higher education facility
- Some background experience with public speaking or animal husbandry is desired, but not required
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Desire to fulfill our mission statement of instilling a sense of wonder, respect, and stewardship for the Pacific Ocean, its inhabitants, and ecosystems
All qualified applicants will be contacted by email to schedule a phone interview with our program animals internship coordinator. Candidates will be selected on the basis of knowledge, abilities, experience, attitude, reliability, punctuality, and recommendations.