The Aquarium of the Pacific has internship opportunities in the aviculture department for the summer term, starting in May and ending in August.
The Aviculture Internship at the Aquarium of the Pacific is an educational opportunity for selected candidates to learn about the basic animal husbandry involved in caring for terrestrial and marine birds. This position is designed for those with an interest in pursuing a career in animal husbandry with a zoo, aquarium, or similar facility. In the 15 weeks of this internship, the candidate will have the opportunity to work with a large flock of rainbow lorikeets, Magellanic penguins, and get some exposure to some of our other parrots, diving birds, and shorebirds. This is a nonpaid position.
- Diet preparation and feeding
- Exhibit cleaning and maintenance
- Animal observations and inventory of a large flock
- Creation and utilization of animal enrichment
- Observe breeding pairs and chick rearing
- Learn about medical procedures and treatment
- Interpret information to the public in informal interactions
- Learning protocols for record keeping and documentation
- Final project to be determined by candidate and aviculture internship liaison
Duration and Time Commitment:
- 15 weeks from May-August (Summer only, fall and spring internships are not offered at this time)
- 16 hours (two days) per week
- 240 hour total time commitment
- Must have an interest in pursuing a career in animal husbandry
- Must be currently enrolled in or recently graduated from a higher education facility
- Some background experience with birds or in animal husbandry is desired, but not required
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Comfortable working in an environment with a flock of birds flying in close proximity to you.
- Desire to fulfill our mission statement of instilling a sense of wonder, respect, and stewardship for the Pacific Ocean, its inhabitants, and ecosystems
All qualified applicants will be contacted by email to schedule a phone interview with our aviculture internship coordinator. Candidates will be selected on the basis of knowledge, abilities, experience, attitude, reliability, punctuality, and recommendations.