President & CEO
Dr. Jerry Schubel has been president and CEO of the Aquarium of the Pacific since 2002.
He holds a Ph.D. in oceanography from Johns Hopkins University. He is a member of the Science Advisory Panel for California’s Ocean Protection Council and the Board of Governors of the Savannah Ocean Exchange.
His areas of expertise include:
- climate change, including ocean acidification, coral bleaching, impact on the polar regions, and impact on people around the globe;
- impacts that a rising sea and associated storm surges will have on the U.S. and coastal nations around the world;
- California’s water system and droughts;
- coastal and marine spatial planning and exploring and mapping the ocean to benefit the environment and economy;
- sustainable seafood, including sustainable offshore aquaculture and the U.S. economy, and seafood and health;
- urban ocean issues, including shipping, wildlife, and ports;
- art as a means for science and environmental stewardship;
- engaging the public in ocean issues and science as well ocean literacy;
- marine protected areas;
- ocean pollution;
- and ocean biodiversity.