Learn the characteristics of mammals and find out what makes marine mammals so special.
Do you know a budding marine biologist? The Junior Biologist series of programs at the Aquarium will encourage a love of science in your seven- to twelve-year-old child.
Each 2-hour class includes theme related activities, guided gallery tour, interaction with our animal care staff behind-the-scenes, and a keepsake journal.
From layers of blubber to filter feeding baleen we will explore the amazing adaptations marine mammals use to survive in the ocean. During this 2-hour program your seven- to twelve-year-old child will:
- Touch animals in our private classroom touch pools
- Review the characteristics of mammals
- Feed sea otters behind-the-scenes with our animal care staff*
- Take a guided tour of the Northern Pacific gallery and observe the sea otters
- Record observations in a keepsake journal
Other activities may include:
- Test the insulating properties of blubber against other materials
- Discern between whales of the same species by looking for subtle differences in their fin shape, just like researchers in the field would
*The Aquarium reserves the right to change the animal interactions without notice due to animal safety, exhibit maintenance, or animal health reasons.