Want to be an animal trainer when you grow up?
Do you need to learn about a career for a school assignment, or are you interested in a job in the animal care field? The Job Shadow series of classes at the Aquarium is perfect for either. We have four unique 3-hour classes that are sure to give you the inside scoop on a career in marine biology. Take the entire series, or just pick one.
Job shadow Classes are led by Aquarium Educators and include opportunities to interact with animal care staff.
This Job Shadow Class takes a closer look at the fascinating and competitive field of marine mammal training. During this 3-hour class participants will:
- Hear from our marine mammal staff what it takes to do their jobs
- Learn some of the common hand signals our trainers use while training our mammals
- Visit various behind-the-scenes locations
- Feed the sea otters behind-the-scenes*
Other activities may include:
- Observe sea otters on exhibit while looking for discrete otter behaviors
- Observe a seal and sea lion feed
- Prepare food for the seals and sea lions
- Meet some of the program animals our mammalogists also train
- Practice training using positive reinforcement techniques on a classmate
*The Aquarium reserves the right to change the animal interactions without notice due to animal safety, exhibit maintenance, or animal health reasons.
Participants must wear closed-toe shoes for behind the scenes access!