Taking care of fish is a fun and rewarding hobby, and it can even be a career!
Do you need to shadow a marine biologist for a school assignment or are you just interested in what a job in the field of animal care is like?
The Job Shadow series of programs at the Aquarium is perfect for either. We have four unique 3-hour programs that are sure to give you the inside scoop on a career in marine biology. Take the entire series, one is typically offered the first Wednesday and Saturday of every month.
This Job Shadow program takes a closer look at the field of fish and invertebrate husbandry. During this 3-hour program participants will:
- Hear from our aquarist staff what it takes to do their job
- Visit various behind-the-scenes locations
- Prepare food for and feed our largest exhibit, the 350,000-gallon tropical reef habitat
- Meet members of our volunteer dive staff
- Feed the rays and do exhibit maintenance on the ray pool
- Meet the aquarist that cares for our Giant Pacific Octopus and observe a feed
- Watch as a trained staff member cuts a window in a shark egg
- Feed and touch animals in our private classroom touch pools
*The Aquarium reserves the right to change the animal interactions without notice due to animal safety, exhibit maintenance, or animal health reasons.
Participants must wear closed-toe shoes for behind the scenes access!
Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 | 3:30 PM–6:30 PM
Saturday, Mar 1, 2014 | 9:00 AM–12:00 PM
Wednesday, Jul 2, 2014 | 3:30 PM–6:30 PM
Saturday, Jul 5, 2014 | 9:00 AM–12:00 PM
Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 | 3:30 PM–6:30 PM
Saturday, Nov 1, 2014 | 9:00 AM–12:00 PM
|Cost||$39.00 per student
$35.00 for Aquarium members
Aquarium admission not included
Purchase your tickets for Job Shadow here. Please select the correct date from the calendar to book the correct program.
Members, please call to purchase your discounted tickets.
|Sold Out||March 1, 2014|
|RSVP||(562) 951-1630. Pre-registration and pre-payment required on all experiences unless noted. Cancellations made 72 hours before the program will receive a full refund. Cancellations made less than 72 hours before a program will still be charged the full program price.|
Job Shadow: Marine Biologist
Aquarist is not a zodiac sign. It is a very important position that our scaly and spineless friends rely on! Find out what it takes to be one in this three-hour class!Aquarium of the Pacific DD/MM/YYYY