Feeding and caring for fish and sharks is a fun and rewarding career!
Do you need to learn about a career for a school assignment, or are you interested in a job in the animal care field? The Job Shadow series of classes at the Aquarium is perfect for either. We have four unique 3-hour classes that are sure to give you the inside scoop on a career in marine biology. Take the entire series, or just pick one.
Job shadow Classes are led by Aquarium Educators and include opportunities to interact with animal care staff.
This Job Shadow class takes a closer look at the field of fish and invertebrate husbandry. During this 3-hour class participants will:
- Hear from our aquarist staff what it takes to do their jobs
- Feed and touch animals in our private classroom touch pools
- Meet members of our volunteer dive staff
- Visit various behind-the-scenes locations
Other activities may include:
- Prepare food for and feed animals in our largest exhibit, the 350,000-gallon Tropical Reef Habitat*
- Feed the rays and do exhibit maintenance on the Ray exhibit
- Meet the aquarist that cares for our giant Pacific octopus or sea dragons and observe a feed
- Watch as a trained staff member cuts a window in a shark egg
*The Aquarium reserves the right to change the animal interactions without notice due to animal safety, exhibit maintenance, or animal health reasons.
Participants must wear closed-toe shoes for behind the scenes access!
|When||Tue, June 19, 2018 00:00:00 Saturday, Jul 7, 2018 | 9:00 AM–12:00 PM Tue, June 19, 2018 00:00:00 Sunday, Jul 15, 2018 | 9:00 AM–12:00 PM Tue, June 19, 2018 00:00:00 Saturday, Nov 3, 2018 | 9:00 AM–12:00 PM Tue, June 19, 2018 00:00:00 Sunday, Nov 18, 2018 | 9:00 AM–12:00 PM|
$39.00 per student
$35.00 for Aquarium members
Aquarium admission not included
Purchase your tickets for Job Shadow here. Please select the correct date from the calendar to book the correct program.
Members, please call to purchase your discounted tickets.
|RSVP||(562) 590-3100. Pre-registration and pre-payment required on all experiences unless noted. Cancellations made 72 hours before the program will receive a full refund. Cancellations made less than 72 hours before a program will still be charged the full program price.|
Any child requiring the use of an EpiPen must have a completed FAAECP signed by their doctor in order to participate in Aquarium programming.