Full Time, Benefits Eligible
The Membership Manager is responsible for all aspects of highly successful membership and annual programs efforts including strategic planning and growth, providing a significant base of unrestricted annual support, providing excellent benefits and services, developing effective marketing strategies and programs, increasing and improving member renewal, retention, upgrades, matching gifts, additional gifts, and acquisition. The Aquarium of the Pacific, with nearly 40,000 household members and attendance topping 1.5 million, is planning a major capital expansion which is expected to double membership and increase attendance to over 2 million by 2017.
The Membership Manager’s Responsibilities Include:
- Achieving annual sales goal for memberships up to $599 (in 2008 $3.6 million from more than 33,000 households)
- Creating and managing 5-year strategic plan for membership income
- Formulating and managing annual expense budgets
- Developing a comprehensive reporting and analysis system that provides accurate and timely evaluation of all membership and annual gifts activities as well as income
- Creating and launching member acquisition, upgrade, matching gift, and renewal campaigns utilizing direct mail, telemarketing, internet solicitations, promotions, and onsite sales
- Developing targeting and segmentation strategies to cost-effectively increase responses to direct appeals, phone calls, events, and communications
- Executing member retention and attendance programs and direct stewardship functions such as member benefits, services, and events
- Formulating a master event and solicitation calendar that accounts for Aquarium and other fundraising activities
- Directing and mentoring staff, volunteers, consultants, and agencies involved in membership programs
- Directing outsourced program components and overseeing performance of vendors for all design and production of all print collateral, copywriting, direct mail, telemarketing, renewals, and other external sources
- Managing all communications with members including: writing, enhancing effectiveness, ensuring accuracy, and maximizing reach for a wide variety of materials especially acquisition mailings, renewals, Pacific Currents, scripts, sales brochures, email communications, surveys, etc.
- Working effectively to ensure database is accurate, used effectively, managed, and provides necessary information for membership and annual program activities
- Working in collaboration with Vice President of Operations, Development Services Supervisor, and Guest Services Manager to ensure high quality services are provided to members
- Collaborating with other development program managers to ensure effective integration between programs, provide consistency where needed, and share resources
- Developing synergy between the membership program and the annual program to maximize the number and size of gifts from current and lapsed members and donors
- Collaborating with department directors and managers to conceive, plan, and execute programs, benefits, and services
- Developing effective strategies to strengthen the relationships between the members and the organization
- Establishing and overseeing all operations, policies, and procedures of the membership department
- Minimum three to five years’ experience in membership or related fund raising or marketing effort, preferably at an aquarium, zoo, museum, university, or other non-profit organization
- Minimum three to five years’ experience managing a team and creating positive and productive relationships
- Experience working directly with members or donors
- Proven track record in setting challenging goals and achievement
- Experience in handling difficult political situations
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage sophisticated direct mail and telemarketing efforts
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects/programs simultaneously, setting proper priorities within deadlines
- Proven ability to prepare and forecast annual revenue and expense budgets, and program goals
- Proven ability to work collaboratively as a member team and part of a larger development operation and develop programs that maximize fund raising income from members
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with other departments
- Track record of setting and managing procedures and systems necessary for the operation of a large and complex member database system
- Ability to represent the Aquarium of the Pacific at local, regional, and national conferences and meetings
- Ability to benchmark and track performance of Aquarium membership statistics against other aquariums, zoos, and museums nationally
Knowledge & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Excellent organizational, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Excellent managerial skills with proven ability to delegate tasks; set clear expectations; motivate, organize, and supervise staff, volunteers, and external agencies
- Excelllent strategic planning, revenue and expense forecasting, and analytical skills
- Excellent computer and technical skills with all Microsoft Office programs and database management, knowledge of Blackbaud Raisers Edge 7 database preferred
Interested and Qualified?
If you meet the requirements of this position, click on the link below to “APPLY NOW.” You will be directed to our web application process, the successful completion of which is required by all applicants. There are THREE simple steps to this process, which is administered by Wonderlic, Inc.:
- You will complete a brief web application;
- You will attach or build your resume;
- You will complete the assessments.
Upon completion of all THREE steps, your submission will be forwarded to our hiring team for consideration. Thank you so much for your interest in the Aquarium of the Pacific!
The Aquarium of the Pacific is an Equal Opportunity Employer.