Full time, benefit-eligible
The Membership Manager is responsible for the planning, development, and implementation of the Aquarium of the Pacific’s membership program and annual giving, including but not limited to acquisition, renewals, benefits, events, communications, member services, and achieving revenue goals. The Aquarium’s membership program currently features 36,000 member households with plans for significant growth in coming years.
The Membership Manager Will:
- Develop comprehensive membership plan to ensure revenue goals are met (2014 goal is $4M)
- Manage a membership acquisition strategy to include onsite sales, direct mail, online opportunities, and more.
- With the Membership Coordinator and Data Analyst, develop a strategy for renewals to ensure a high retention rate and to maximize upgrade opportunities.
- With the Development Events team, develop a membership events plan that strengthens relationships with members and maximizes member renewals while fulfilling the Aquarium’s educational mission.
- Develop and implement an effective communications plan that strengthens relationships with members and maximizes renewals and helps fulfill the Aquarium’s educational mission.
- Manage a comprehensive program to handle all member services including benefits fulfillment, member inquiries, member requests, and all other institutional interactions with members with the support of the Guest Support Center.
- Write effective and creative fundraising copy and serve as a copy editor for membership and development solicitations and all other communications.
- Collaborate with all departments throughout the Aquarium with a special emphasis on creating a team culture with Guest Services and Guest Support Center.
- Develop and manage an annual giving program to solicit gifts under $1,000 from members and other prospects. This includes the Adopt an Animal and Animal Care Wish List campaigns and other strategies such as online gifts and monthly giving.
- Provide leadership and support in understanding the donor pyramid and recommend strategies for effectively transitioning members to upper levels of giving.
- Create, manage, and routinely monitor revenue and expense budgets for the membership and annual giving programs.
- Manage vendors to ensure effective and timely delivery of services.
- Mentor and supervise direct reports including the Membership Supervisor and the Membership Coordinator and Data Analyst. Coach and collaborate with member service teams including the Database and Development Services team, Guest Services membership ambassadors, Guest Support Center team, and others who assist in membership sales and stewardship.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in business or marketing)
- 5 or more years of experience in a leadership Membership/Development position at a non-profit institution
- Extensive knowledge of donor and member acquisition and retention strategies
- Previous experience working directly with donors
- Previous experience in handling politically sensitive situations
Knowledge & Skills
- Extraordinary interpersonal skills
- Extraordinary organizational skills
- Extraordinary advance planning skills
- Extraordinary written and oral communication skills
- Excellent computer skills with all MS Office programs.
- Preferred knowledge of Blackbaud Raisers Edge 7 database
- Able to excel in a team environment
- Able to monitor and meet income goals
- Able to create systems to ensure accuracy and efficiency
- Able to manage and motivate volunteers
- Ability to handle multiple assignments
- Awareness of ocean and conservation issues
- Strong management, problem-solving and decision making abilities
Interested and Qualified?
If you meet the requirements of this position and believe you would be an outstanding Membership Manager, click on the link below to “APPLY NOW.” You will be directed to our web application process, the successful completion of which is required by all applicants. There are THREE simple steps to this process, which is administered by Wonderlic, Inc.:
- You will complete a brief web application;
- You will attach or build your resume;
- You will complete the assessments.
Upon completion of all THREE steps, your submission will be forwarded to our hiring team for consideration. If you are among the most qualified applicants, we will contact you within two weeks. If you do not hear from us within two weeks, feel free to reapply in the future as other opportunities arise. Thank you so much for your interest in the Aquarium of the Pacific! The Aquarium of the Pacific is an Equal Opportunity Employer.