Full Time, Eligible For Benefits
Reporting directly to the Interpretation Manager, the Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the education volunteer program. The Volunteer Coordinator contributes significantly to the retention, tracking, evaluation, and recognition of the volunteers. Responsibilities also include maintaining all aspects of the volunteer program, which include but are not limited to screening, training, and general administrative tasks; and developing new programming and opportunities for volunteers in the education department.
The Education Volunteer Coordinator’s Responsibilities Include:
- Establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and effective working relations with volunteers and fellow employees.
- Communicate both internally and externally in a courteous and tactful manner and set a leadership example following Aquarium policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with other departments throughout the Aquarium to provide education volunteer assistance when needed.
- Develop and implement volunteer orientation, training, continuing education and evaluation to support the educational goals and consistently maintain the high quality service of the Aquarium.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of recognition, retention, and motivation programs for volunteers.
- Maintain first-hand knowledge of education volunteer positions by providing visitor support in the form of on-the-floor interpretation and touch lab coverage.
- Oversees the maintenance of education volunteer records such as training, logging service hours, volunteer status changes, etc.; and keeps these database records in an organized manner.
- Participates in the recruitment, screening, and interviewing all education volunteer applicants.
- Interacts closely with the volunteer services department in order to support the overall Aquarium volunteer program.
- Answers and resolves volunteer questions and problems that may arise. Provides effective coaching and course correction with volunteers as needed; and when necessary, facilitates communication and resolution with other paid and non-paid staff.
- Support Education Department and volunteer staff in daily operations.
- Ability to work well with others in a team atmosphere.
- Participate in Education and Aquarium-wide staff meetings, trainings and professional development to stay current on Education Department goals, ocean sciences information and trends in education.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in ocean or biological sciences, education or equivalent experience a strong plus.
- Prior experience in coordinating volunteers or paid staff in a nonprofit environment.
- Prior volunteer experience strongly desired.
Knowledge, Skills, Traits For Success
- Superior interpersonal abilities, presentation and writing skills. Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of staff both paid and volunteer.
- Must be able to successfully interact with a very broad range of individuals of varying ages, ethnicities, interests, experiences, socio-economic backgrounds, etc.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Previous personal experience as a volunteer.
- Excellent internal and external customer service.
- Experience communicating science in formal and/or informal setting.
- Ability to focus on projects in a shared workspace with frequent interruptions.
- Basic word processing and computer skills and experience with database management.
- Prior experience with the Volgistics database strongly desired.
Interested & Qualified?
If you meet the requirements of this position, click on the link below to “APPLY NOW.” You will be directed to our web application process, the successful completion of which is required by all applicants. There are THREE simple steps to this process, which is administered by Wonderlic, Inc.:
- You will complete a brief web application;
- You will attach or build your resume;
- You will complete the assessments.
Upon completion of all THREE steps, your submission will be forwarded to our hiring team for consideration. Thank you so much for your interest in the Aquarium of the Pacific! The Aquarium of the Pacific is an Equal Opportunity Employer.