Part Time Seasonal, $15.00 hour
The Education Performer is responsible for teaching, inspiring and entertaining aquarium guests through performance in live theatrical shows and programs. These live performances require acting, audience interaction, puppetry, song, and humor. The individual will apply their talent and enthusiasm to provide the highest level of performance and customer service for guests, community, and professional peers, while supporting the Aquarium’s mission to instill a sense of wonder, respect, and stewardship for the Pacific Ocean, its inhabitants, and ecosystems.
- Educating and inspiring the public through performance in The Aquarium of the Pacific’s theatrical programs, as both puppet and “face” characters.
- Maintaining the highest level of customer service, optimism, and professionalism with Aquarium guests and colleagues.
- Demonstrating creativity and flexibility in completing tasks and performing in diverse conditions.
- Giving educational presentations for the general public as needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Knowledge of and skill in acting and performance.
- Ability to engage proactively with audiences and use teaching techniques to guide audiences toward educational outcomes.
- Able to mimic certain pre-established voices of our cast of puppet characters with reasonable accuracy. (Examples will be provided before auditions/interviews.)
- Able to sing.
- Able to memorize scripts for live shows and other content.
- Skill in improvisational performance.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn science content used in performance.
- Able to take and implement direction and work well in a highly collaborative, team environment.
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Able to operate or learn to operate hand puppets.
- Training and/or previous experience in acting, improv and vocal performance. Experience may be from professional and or/amateur performance in theatre, film, tv, or internet media, as well as from formal training. (College/university theatre, etc.)
- Previous experience in a teaching environment is ideal, but not a necessity.
- Due to the size of performing spaces and puppets, applicants must be between 5’1’’ and 6’ tall, weigh no more than 210 lbs., and be able to fit a hand into all puppets used for performances. Applicants must be willing to remain within these physical requirements for the duration of employment.
- Willing to make reasonable adjustments to personal appearance (such as hairstyle and facial hair styling) to play certain characters. Must be able and willing to cover any and all tattoos.
- Ability to sit, stand and walk for long periods of time
- Ability to balance, bend, squat, climb, kneel, crawl, twist
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs
- Ability to pull and push up to 100lbs
- Full functional range of motion in all major body joints from reaching, twisting, bending, simple and power gripping, fine and gross motor skills
- Ability to crouch for 15-20 minutes at a time.
- Able to operate a hand puppet for 10-25 minutes at a time, several times a day, while performing from within small, enclosed spaces.
- Able to work in all kinds of weather, including high heat/humidity conditions.
- Aquarium galleries, classrooms, theaters and informal learning environments
- Offsite areas conducting programs as needed
- Outdoor environments in varying weather conditions, including rain and/or high or low heat/humidity.
- Open ocean environments
- Wet, dirty, uneven surfaces and walkways
- Exposure to confined spaces
INTERESTED AND QUALIFIED?
If you meet the requirements of this position, click on the link below to “APPLY NOW.” You will be directed to our web application process, the successful completion of which is required by all applicants. There are THREE simple steps to this process, which is administered by Hire Select:
- You will complete a brief web application;
- You will attach or build your resume;
- You will complete the PCI aptitude assessment.
Upon completion of all THREE steps, your submission will be forwarded to our hiring team for consideration. If you are among the most qualified applicants, we will contact you within two to three weeks. If you do not hear from us within that time, feel free to reapply in the future as other opportunities arise. Thank you so much for your interest in the Aquarium of the Pacific! The Aquarium of the Pacific is an Equal Opportunity Employer.