Full Time with Benefits
The Aquarium of the Pacific is looking for someone to join our Education Department team. We are currently seeking applicants for the role of Education Coordinator, supporting the daily operations, events, and resources associated with school and teacher programs. Applicants who have experience and desire to train education staff, teach and coordinate programs, and engage with all of our audiences through our live animal collections and conservation initiatives are highly advised to apply. We are looking for looking for people who want to make a difference in ocean conservation through educational programing at the Aquarium of the Pacific. Is this you? Please follow the information below and apply!
- Play a lead role in coordinating the logistical and pedagogical elements of one or more key educational programs, including working with other departments.
- Observe, assist, and teach public and school programs.
- Review monthly staff schedule ensuring that the schedule is accurate, updated, and disseminated.
- Under the oversight of management, determine staffing needs, schedule staff and ensure office is ready for daily operations.
- Create and maintain annual Education department programs calendar.
- Work with management to track spending on all school and public programs.
- Work with management to track spending on all grant funded projects.
- Maintain inventory and ordering for all education related supplies.
- Develop new content and adapt existing content for Aquarium programs.
- Field routine education questions, including responses to general education emails.
- Provide support to daily functions within the education department.
- Provide daily visitor support including on the floor interpretation, shows and station coverage.
- Design, implement and track training of staff on education programs as appropriate.
- Train and serve as a resource for volunteers and interns
- Assist the Interpretation and Volunteer managers with their daily staff scheduling.
- Assist with the creation and updating of all Education collateral
- Work with management to create and submit department head reports and periodic board reports.
- Participate in Education and Aquarium-wide staff meetings, trainings and professional development to stay current on Education Department goals, ocean sciences information and trends in education.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge and expertise in ecological, biological and conservation principles.
- Strong background and training in the field of education and the implementation of informal education programs.
- Familiarity with effective instructional strategies for informal education for a variety of ages, group sizes and abilities.
- Strong communication skills to transmit information to staff, other departments, volunteers, visitors and program participants with enthusiasm.
- Ability to work well with others in a team atmosphere.
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent internal and external customer service
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills
- Ability to focus on projects in a shared workspace with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to interact successfully with other zoos, aquariums and informal education centers regarding related programs.
- Desire to instill a sense of wonder, respect and stewardship for the Pacific Ocean, its inhabitants and ecosystems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in a formal and/or informal setting.
- Demonstrated ability to reflect on and improve upon job performance
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or related field preferred. Equivalent experience will be considered.
- Valid California driver’s license or the eligibility to attain one.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to sit, stand and walk for long periods of time
- Ability to balance, bend, squat, climb, kneel, crawl, twist
- Ability to lift and carry up to 0-50lbs
- Ability to pull and push up to 0-100lbs
- Full functional range of motion in all major body joints from reaching, twisting, bending, simple and power gripping, fine and gross motor skills
- Ability to function while on board a mid-sized ocean vessel
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Aquarium galleries, classrooms, theater and informal learning environment
- Offsite areas conducting programs as needed
- Outside environments in varying weather conditions
- Open ocean environments
- Exposure to various in temperature, humidity or wetness
- Exposure to common allergens, such as shellfish
- Wet, dirty, uneven surfaces and walkways
- Exposure to confined spaces
INTERESTED AND QUALIFIED?
If you meet the requirements of this position, click on the link below to “APPLY NOW.” You will be directed to our web application process, the successful completion of which is required by all applicants. There are THREE simple steps to this process, which is administered by Hire Select:
- You will complete a brief web application;
- You will attach or build your resume;
- You will complete the PCI aptitude assessment.
Upon completion of all THREE steps, your submission will be forwarded to our hiring team for consideration. If you are among the most qualified applicants, we will contact you within two to three weeks. If you do not hear from us within that time, feel free to reapply in the future as other opportunities arise. Thank you so much for your interest in the Aquarium of the Pacific! The Aquarium of the Pacific is an Equal Opportunity Employer.