PART-TIME, 25–30 HOURS/WEEK; $13.50/HOUR
The Education Associate is responsible for conducting and teaching marine education programs (pre-K to adult) that support the Aquarium of the Pacific and its mission. The individual will implement the Aquarium’s existing onsite and offsite educational programs, which include teaching family, sleepover, school and Aquarium on Wheels community outreach programs; leading tours; and performing presentations. The individual will provide the highest level of customer service to guests, the community and professional peers while instilling a sense of wonder, respect, and stewardship for the Pacific Ocean, its ecosystems, and inhabitants.
The Education Associate’s responsibilities include:
- Teach a wide variety of Aquarium of the Pacific’s education programs
- Maintain the highest level of customer service to program participants and Aquarium guests
- Assist guests with touching animal at specific exhibits both onsite and on the Aquarium on Wheels mobile tidepool
- Communicate constructively and effectively with other Aquarium team members
- Maintain a clean teaching space for programs and presentations
- Demonstrate creativity and flexibility in approach to teaching practice
- Works as a team player and problem-solver
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in marine science, biology, or related field preferred or equivalent experience (Individuals working toward their degree may also be considered)
- Previous knowledge and training in the educational field and the implementation of informal educational programs• A minimum of 6 months experience teaching learners (children and/or adults) in either a formal or informal setting
- Valid California driver’s license
Knowledge, Skills, and Traits for Success
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Knowledgeable in ecological, biological, and conservation principles
- Knowledge of effective instructional strategies for informal education to a variety of ages and abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to speak in public
- Ability to speak Spanish, a plus
- Ability to interact with other zoos, aquariums, and informal education centers
Interested & Qualified?
If you meet the requirements of this position, click on the link below to “APPLY NOW.” You will be directed to our web application process, the successful completion of which is required by all applicants. There are THREE simple steps to this process, which is administered by Wonderlic, Inc.:
- You will complete a brief web application;
- You will attach or build your resume;
- You will complete the online assessments.
Upon completion of all THREE steps, your submission will be forwarded to our hiring team for consideration. Thank you so much for your interest in the Aquarium of the Pacific! The Aquarium of the Pacific is an Equal Opportunity Employer.