Join the FBI (Fish Bureau of Investigation), Ocean Rangers, and Aquarium educators as we investigate fish and sharks. Please see the list of programs below for more information.
- Ocean Rangers: Shark Mythbusters!
- Is it safe to go back in the water? Officer Opaleye returns for another Ocean Ranger adventure in order to answer that very question! This time, students will follow sharks into their ocean habitat to learn the truths and dispel the myths surrounding these incredible predators. Through investigation, problem solving and interviews with experts, the students will help to identify the mystery shark and find out what we can do to protect these creatures.
- CA Science Standards: 3rd: 3a, b; 5b. 4th: 2b. 5th: 6a.
- National Standards: Science, Grades 3-5. Science as inquiry: Abilities necessary to do scientific inquiry.
Understanding about scientific inquiry. Physical Science: Properties of objects and materials. Position and motion of objects. Properties and changes of objects and materials (grade 5). Motions and forces (grade 5). Life Science: The characteristics of organisms. Organisms and their environments. Structure and function in living systems (grade 5). Regulation and behavior (grade 5). Populations and ecosystems (grade 5). Diversity and adaptations of organisms (grade 5). Science and Technology: Abilities of technical design. Understanding about science and technology. Science in personal and Social Perspectives. Characteristics and changes in populations. Science and technology in local challenges. Populations, resources, and environments (grade 5). Science and technology in society (grade 5). History and Nature of Science: Science as a human endeavor. Nature of science.
Program Time: 50 minutes
- Aquarium Exploration Videoconferencing program
- Learn about some of the most interesting animals in our collection while virtually touring our Tropical Pacific, Northern Pacific, and Southern California & Baja exhibits with live camera views. Programs are tailored to be grade specific and include interactive media, games, and time to ask questions. General themes include an introduction to the different habitats of the Pacific Ocean, animal diversity, and adaptations.
Program Time: 30 minutes
- Pre/ Post-visit Videoconferencing program
- Make a field trip to the Aquarium more memorable for your students!This virtual classroom experience will encourage students to make meaningful connections between their onsite Aquarium explorations as a pre-visit or post-visit program. Students will virtually visit three galleries; Tropical Pacific, Northern Pacific, and Southern California & Baja through our live camera views. General themes include an introduction to the different habitats of the Pacific Ocean, animal diversity, and adaptations. Programs are tailored to be grade specific and include interactive media, games, and time to ask questions.
Program Time: 30 minutes