Learn the characteristics of mammals and find out what makes marine mammals so special.
Do you know a budding marine biologist? The Junior Biologist series of programs at the Aquarium will encourage a love of science in your seven- to twelve-year-old child.
Each 2-hour class includes theme related activities, guided gallery tour, interaction with our animal care staff behind-the-scenes, and a keepsake journal.
From layers of blubber to filter feeding baleen we will explore the amazing adaptations marine mammals use to survive in the ocean. During this 2-hour program your seven- to twelve-year-old child will:
- Touch animals in our private classroom touch pools
- Review the characteristics of mammals
- Feed sea otters behind-the-scenes with our animal care staff*
- Take a guided tour of the Northern Pacific gallery and observe the sea otters
- Record observations in a keepsake journal
Other activities may include:
- Test the insulating properties of blubber against other materials
- Play a game illustrating the migration patterns of whales
- Discern between whales of the same species by looking for subtle differences in their fin shape, just like researchers in the field would
*The Aquarium reserves the right to change the animal interactions without notice due to animal safety, exhibit maintenance, or animal health reasons.
Saturday, Feb 13, 2016 | 9:30 AM–11:30 AM
Saturday, Aug 13, 2016 | 9:30 AM–11:30 AM
|Cost||$29.00 per child
$25.00 for members
Aquarium admission not included
Purchase your tickets for Junior Biologist here. Please select the correct date from the calendar to book the correct program.
Members, please call to purchase your discounted tickets.
Please call to RSVP.
|Ages||7-12 years old|
|RSVP||(562) 590-3100. Pre-registration and pre-payment required on all experiences unless noted. Cancellations made 72 hours before the program will receive a full refund. Cancellations made less than 72 hours before a program will still be charged the full program price.|