If you want to grow up and be a dolphin trainer, then this class is for you!
Do you need to shadow a marine biologist for a school assignment or are you just interested in what a job in the field of animal care is like?
The Job Shadow series of programs at the Aquarium is perfect for either. We have four unique 3-hour programs that are sure to give you the inside scoop on a career in marine biology. Take the entire series, one is typically offered the first Wednesday and Saturday of every month.
This Job Shadow program takes a closer look at the fascinating and competitive field of marine mammal training. During this 3-hour program participants will:
- Hear from our marine mammal staff what it takes to do their job
- Visit various behind-the-scenes locations
- Observe sea otters on exhibit while looking for discrete otter behaviors
- Learn some of the common hand signals our trainers use while training our seals and sea lions
- Observe a private seal and sea lion feed
- Prepare food for the seals and sea lions
- Meet some of the program animals our mammalogists also train
- Feed the sea otters behind-the-scenes
- Practice training using positive reinforcement techniques on a classmate
*The Aquarium reserves the right to change the animal interactions without notice due to animal safety, exhibit maintenance, or animal health reasons.
Participants must wear closed-toe shoes for behind the scenes access!