Taking care of fish is a fun and rewarding hobby, and it can even be a career!
Do you need to shadow a marine biologist for a school assignment or are you just interested in what a job in the field of animal care is like?
The Job Shadow series of programs at the Aquarium is perfect for either. We have four unique 3-hour programs that are sure to give you the inside scoop on a career in marine biology. Take the entire series, one is typically offered the first Wednesday and Saturday of every month.
This Job Shadow program takes a closer look at the field of fish and invertebrate husbandry. During this 3-hour program participants will:
- Hear from our aquarist staff what it takes to do their job
- Visit various behind-the-scenes locations
- Prepare food for and feed our largest exhibit, the 350,000-gallon tropical reef habitat
- Meet members of our volunteer dive staff
- Feed the rays and do exhibit maintenance on the ray pool
- Meet the aquarist that cares for our Giant Pacific Octopus and observe a feed
- Watch as a trained staff member cuts a window in a shark egg
- Feed and touch animals in our private classroom touch pools
*The Aquarium reserves the right to change the animal interactions without notice due to animal safety, exhibit maintenance, or animal health reasons.
Participants must wear closed-toe shoes for behind the scenes access!
Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 | 3:30 PM–6:30 PM
Saturday, Mar 1, 2014 | 9:00 AM–12:00 PM
Wednesday, Jul 2, 2014 | 3:30 PM–6:30 PM
Saturday, Jul 5, 2014 | 9:00 AM–12:00 PM
Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 | 3:30 PM–6:30 PM
Saturday, Nov 1, 2014 | 9:00 AM–12:00 PM
|Cost||$35.00 per student
$29.00 for Aquarium members
Aquarium admission not included
|Tickets||Please call to RSVP.|
Job Shadow: Marine Biologist
Aquarist is not a zodiac sign. It is a very important position that our scaly and spineless friends rely on! Find out what it takes to be one in this three-hour class!Aquarium of the Pacific DD/MM/YYYY