3 Day Program for High School Teachers
Join the Aquarium of the Pacific for three days of exploration in a unique combination of classroom and off-site field experiences. This professional teacher workshop focuses on Southern California ecosystems with inquiry-based lesson plans, on-line resources, and creates outdoor experiences for teachers to share with their students.
The first day of the workshop will be held at the Aquarium of the Pacific in a classroom setting to discuss wetlands, Marine Protected Areas, whale migration and conservation. On-line classroom resources such as the new Aquarium of the Pacific’s Whale Project application, hands-on activities, and small group discussions will be used to cover general topics.
Explore the wetlands on a 2 hour guided walking tour of Bolsa Chica Wetlands on our second day of the workshop. Teachers will document their experience by taking pictures for a photo-journal project.
On the last day of the workshop teachers will board our 2 ½ whale watch cruise with an opportunity to see gray whales, seal lions, and marine birds in our local Southern California ecosystem. Teachers will learn about whale photo-identification, mapping our local whale species, and build on their photo-journals.
Registration: Space is limited; please call 1630 to reserve a space. Deadline is February 1, 2013.
Grade Designation: 9th-12th grade teachers
Availability: Space for 30 teachers on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Dates: February 9th, 16th, and 23rd.
The workshop will include:
- Classroom content and snacks on day one.
- 2 hour guided tour of the Bolsa Chica wetlands on day two.
- 2 ½ hour Whale Watch on day three.
Teachers will need to provide their own:
- Computer (optional for first day)
- Transportation to Bolsa Chica wetlands (day two).
- Camera for photo journaling projects (all three days)
Day 1: February 9th
- Program Location: Watershed Classroom, Aquarium
- Length: Saturday session 1pm - 5:30pm
Day 2: February 16th (transport not provided to offsite location)
- Program Location: Bolsa Chica Wetland Preserve
- Length: Saturday session 8:30am – 11:30am
Day 2: February 23rd
- Program Location: Harbor Breeze Whale Watch (meet on Aquarium Plaza)
- Length: Saturday session 11:30am – 3:30pm
Topics Covered in Program:
- Wetland Ecosystems
- Marine Protected Areas
- Whale migration and conservation
- Web resources and applications for your classroom
- Photo journaling for your classroom
- 2 hour guided tour at Bolsa Chica Wetlands
- 2 ½ hour whale watch (will be on the general public cruise)
- Snacks provided on day one.
- Entrance to the Aquarium
- Curriculum materials