- I booked Aquarium on Wheels… now what happens?
- To finalize our visit to your site we need some logistical information. Complete the online form (make this a link to the online forms) for your program. Once received, you will be contacted by an Education staff member 3-4 weeks before your scheduled date to review these details. The details include start time, parking details, as well as a schedule for our day with your students/guests.
- What time will Aquarium on Wheels arrive at our site?
- On the day of your scheduled program, Aquarium on Wheels will arrive at your site approximately 30 – 60 minutes prior to the start of your programs. Please have someone available to meet our educators when they arrive to direct them to the correct parking spot.
- What type of parking does the Aquarium on Wheels truck require?
- We recommend reserving a space that is 50 feet long and 25 feet wide with a 13 foot clearance. The truck is approximately 35 feet long, 10 feet wide, and 13 feet tall. For guests to come into the truck, stairs fold out of the back and passenger side adding an additional 8’ to the length and width. The truck must park on a paved and flat (no grass or dirt) surface. This vehicle will be used in the touch portion of the program and must be safely accessible for participants. The designated parking space must be easily accessible, both in and out of the space. In the event of an animal or life support related emergency, we must be able to safely exit from the event site.
- Does the Aquarium on Wheels vehicle require any electrical hook-up?
- No. The vehicle is completely self contained and does not require any electrical hook-up at your site. Our life support systems run from a generator on board the vehicle.
- What is the Aquarium on Wheels cancellation and refund policy?
- The Aquarium on Wheels is a very unique program in which we utilize live aquatic animals. In the event that the welfare of these delicate animals is compromised, the Aquarium of the Pacific reserves the right to modify or even cancel a program. We will do everything in our power to keep our scheduled appointment with the Aquarium on Wheels, however, if a situation does arise, be it a travel or animal issue, you will be notified as soon as possible and alternate arrangements will be made at that time.
We understand that situations can arise that would necessitate you having to cancel your program. Please realize that the later you cancel your program, the less likely we are able to fill the vacancy you have created.
- Cancellations made one month prior to the scheduled visit time will not be billed.
- Cancellations made less than one month prior will be billed 50% of the cost.
- Cancellations made less than two weeks prior to the scheduled visit will be billed the full amount.
- Scholarship recipients – Due to the nature of the program we will not be able to accommodate any cancellations. If you should cancel your Aquarium on Wheels visit your scholarship funds will be reallocated to the next school on the waiting list.
- We have scheduled an auditorium program; do we need to supply anything?
- Please reserve a room able to accommodate all participants, up to 150 (i.e. auditorium, gym, multi-purpose room). We will bring our own AV equipment. NOTE: This space must have electrical outlets.
- Can the auditorium presentation be done outside?
- If there is no inside space available, we can do a modified program outside. Please keep in mind, however, that this program will not have the same components as an indoor program.
- How long is the auditorium presentation?
- The Pacific Journeys auditorium presentation will last approximately 60 minutes. Under the Sea Shapes (preschool program) will last approximately 35 – 40 minutes.
- Why is there a 150 student maximum per program?
- Our auditorium programs have a maximum of 150 students to ensure that every participant receives an excellent experience. Although your auditorium space may accommodate more students, interaction during the assembly and animal touch time with Aquarium staff is greatly impacted with groups over 150.
- If we scheduled an auditorium program, when do the participants touch animals?
- Participants will touch animals after the auditorium or classroom presentation. Individual classes/groups visit the Aquarium on Wheels vehicle at a designated time. You are responsible for scheduling our auditorium programs and animal exploration times for your students.. Below is an example schedule to assist you.
- Example Auditorium Schedule
- This is an example that may be used as a guide to create a schedule. Please take into account school start/end times, lunches, number of participants, and class sizes. .
The amount of time required for the animal exploration (animal touch time) depends on the size of your classes. 15 minutes is required for groups of 27 students or fewer. Groups of 28 students or more will need 20 minutes.
If two auditorium programs are booked, you may choose to have animal exploration time directly after each assembly or both assemblies can be scheduled back to back with animal exploration time following.
8:00 - 9:00 a.m. Auditorium Presentation #1 Rm. # Teacher # students 9:05 - 9:20 a.m. Rm. 1 Mrs. Garibaldi 20 9:20 - 9:35 a.m. Rm. 2 Mr. Sargo 20 9:35 - 9:50 a.m. Rm. 3 Ms. Perch 20 9:50 – 10:05 a.m. Rm. 4 … 20 10:05 – 10:20 a.m. Rm. 5 20 10:20 - 10:35 a.m. Rm. 6 20 10:35 – 10:55 a.m. Rm. 7 30 Total *150 10:50 - 11:20 a.m. LUNCH *Only if you are having two programs 11:30 a.m. – 12:20 p.m. Auditorium Presentation #2 12:25 - 12:40 p.m. Rm. 13 20 12:40 - 12:55 p.m. Rm. 14 20 12:55 – 1:10 p.m. Rm. 15 20 1:10 – 1:25 p.m. Rm. 16 20 1:25 - 1:40 p.m. Rm. 17 20 1:40 - 1:55 p.m. Rm. 18 20 1:55 – 2:15 p.m. Rm. 19 30 Total *150 Total number of students for two programs= 150+150= 300
Please note we can accommodate up to 150 participants per auditorium program. The total program (auditorium + animal exploration) should take no more than 3.5 hours from start to finish. If you have more than 150 participants you will need to book 2 auditorium programs. We can allow for short breaks in the schedule of up to 45 minutes total in a day. For every additional 15 minutes there is a charge of $25. Please include the completed schedule in the online form (make this a link to the online forms) used to collect details for our visit.
- We have scheduled a classroom program; do we need to supply anything?
- Please reserve a room able to accommodate all participants, up to 50 (i.e. classroom, auditorium, gym, multi-purpose room) and a table to place teaching supplies. The space must allow for students to come to us for each program due to the amount of teaching supplies needed for programming.
- Can the classroom presentation be done outside?
- Yes. If there is no inside space available, we can do the programs outside.
- How long is the classroom program?
- The classroom program will last approximately 50 minutes.
- When do the participants touch animals?
- Once the classroom portion is complete, the Aquarium instructor will lead the class/group to the vehicle for animal exploration.
- Example Classroom Schedule
- Below is a sample schedule of classroom programs. You will notice that programs overlap. Two educators will be assigned to your school and this allows for the programs to be taught this way.
8:00 – 8:50 a.m. group 1 classroom program 8:50 – 9:20 a.m. group 1 animal interaction time 9:00 – 9:50 a.m. group 2 classroom program 9:50 – 10:20 a.m. group 2 animal interaction time 10:00 – 10:50 a.m. group 3 classroom program 10:50 – 11:20 a.m. group 3 animal interaction time